Antique Radios Forum

This is the temporary home of the Antique Radio Forums while a new server to host it is being found. You will have to register here to post. Please Note: None of these topics will be preserved when the original forums are back.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Fuse Problem

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Milkman64

PostSubject: Fuse Problem   Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:49 pm

I just bought a S-38, my first boat anchor if you want to call it that. The person that did the work on it did an O.K. job and included a fuse in the line.

The radio played great, but while trying the radio out for the first time on a table, I slid the radio over and it went completely dead. I took the radio apart and discovered one of the capacitors was replaced by twisting the new leads onto the old cap leads and then soldered. There was plenty of room to 'do it the right way' and to make matters worse the twisted excess leads were not trimmed and very close to the metal cabinet. Where the new line cord is soldered to the terminal strip containing the fuse, I found a loose, cold solder joint. The guy made some rookie mistakes but over all, the radio did play great. The gentleman was at least smart enough to fuse the line and ironically, the rest of his work looked very professionally done.

The problem I now have is finding a new fuse. I had no luck at Radio Shack or a local repair shop. The fuse is either a 1 Amp or .1 Amp. It is hard to read. The fuse is small, about 1/2 inch and has leads attached. I do not need the leads attached, but I need to use the proper fuse.

Any ideas where I can get the right fuse? I do not wish to buy 100 of them or pay a kings ransom on shipping for just 1 or 2 fuses.

I didn't check the tubes or dial lamp yet. I'm hoping and guessing the fuse did its job.

Thanks for any help,

Ron
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Don Cavey

PostSubject: Re: Fuse Problem   Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:52 pm

Without even knowing or seeing the radio, I can't think that .1A would be correct. That is only 100 ma.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Milkman64

PostSubject: Re: Fuse Problem   Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:02 pm

Don,

I agree with you. It looked like a 1 to me. There is a dot before the 1, but it is far before the 1. I will take another look. I was told it was a .1

Being in the line, that would severely limit the power to the radio. The smallest fuse Radio Shack had was around .25 I think. If 1 amp will do, those are available locally for me, and not a problem to pick up 1 or 2 of them.

There are no markings to indicate the type either, slow or fast blow.

Ron
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tony Wells

PostSubject: Re: Fuse Problem   Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:40 pm

100 ma would never do, and it won't really limit the power going to the radio unless you mean limits it to zero because it blows. They're not the type of device to "choke" the current flow down. A 1 amp fuse would be just fine. You would want to make sure the fuse is in the "hot" leg, and not the neutral. A fast blow might not hold because of the inrush current demand. You certainly could safely try one, and then swap for a sloblo if it was too fast to blow.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dale Saukerson

PostSubject: Re: Fuse Problem   Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:16 pm

This is a six tube AC-DC set, not much more than an AA5.
The rated consumption is 30 watts.

I would start with a 1/2 amp fuse fast blow.
That has worked in my AA5 sets.

A fast blow is slower to blow than some folks realize.
And a slow blow is way slower than folks realize.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fuse Problem   

Back to top Go down

Fuse Problem
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1