Antique Radios Forum

This is the temporary home of the Antique Radio Forums while a new server to host it is being found. You will have to register here to post. Please Note: None of these topics will be preserved when the original forums are back.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Cracked Bakelite

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
OtakuN3rd

PostSubject: Cracked Bakelite   Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:12 pm

I was wondering what the best way to fix cracked Bakelite is. The cabinet for my Philco Hippo is still all in one piece, but there are two cracks in it, one of which is rather large.

While I'm on the subject, are there any cleaners that I have to be worried about using on Bakelite?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jack shirley

PostSubject: Re: Cracked Bakelite   Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:34 pm

Superglue usually does the trick for me.

As for cleaning I avoid 409 and Fantastik unless I plan on painting. They seem to attack the surface to some degree. Some folks scrub and scrub thinking they are removing smoking residue because its brown and it stinks but that's actually the glazed phenolic surface going down the drain.

Bakelite WILL absorb moisture, particularly where its cracked, so make sure its good and dry before gluing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OtakuN3rd

PostSubject: Re: Cracked Bakelite   Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:39 pm

Alrighty, thanks Smile

I'm really looking forward to getting it up and running. bounce I can hardly wait for the capacitors to get here lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pred

PostSubject: Re: Cracked Bakelite   Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:53 pm

There is nothing like some fiberglass on the inside, It will be stronger than it was originally and will never crack any more.
Peter
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tubes4life

PostSubject: Re: Cracked Bakelite   Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:26 pm

I use plastic epoxy (the kind that comes in two tubes, and you have to mix it).

And Jack is right about bakelite absorbing moisture; I've cleaned radios before with just plain water, and had the bakelite look less shiny when I was done.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SMITHY

PostSubject: Re: Cracked Bakelite   Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:01 am

i use JB WELD on the inside has worked fine for me SMITHY
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Reece

PostSubject: Re: Cracked Bakelite   Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:55 am

I'm with Smithy, used J B Weld on the inside AND a piece of fiberglass window screen. Can survive an atomic blast.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dynadude

PostSubject: Re: Cracked Bakelite   Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:50 am

I've used JB Weld and strips of thin plastic, such as old gift cards and such. This plastic is very thin and tough, and it's easy to bend to fit curves. Make sure all surfaces are clean and scuffed a bit. I've used this method to save some pretty well shattered cases.

There will still be a hairline crack visible on the outside, which is easily filled with automotive scratch filler if you plan to paint the case. Then just fine sand and paint.

I don't recall ever seeing a repaired crack that was not still clearly visible, especially with white cases. Be prepared for that if you don't plan to paint.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OtakuN3rd

PostSubject: Re: Cracked Bakelite   Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:02 am

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll probably go with the gift card + JB Weld method.

I don't care that much if its visible, I'm mostly worried about the strength of the case.

This radio isn't painted, and I don't plan on painting it either.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gary rabbitt

PostSubject: Re: Cracked Bakelite   Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:22 am

Hi,
Make really sure that when you use the JB, you abrade the inside so it is not slick/ smooth. It will not hold to the cabinet. Roughen it up with a Dremel narrow tip, so it is rough. That way, your epoxy will grip to the cabinet.

For future reference on repairing bakelite cabinets, take a look at one I did last year.
http://www.philcoradio.com/notebook/3812cbi.htm

You can even repair places where a chunk of cabinet is missing. You always need to back any repair up. Edge only repairs (where the material is sanded flush on both sides will not have strength, and is susceptible to breaking off.

Good Luck,
Gary.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tony Wells

PostSubject: Re: Cracked Bakelite   Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:42 am

If you can find some extremely rough sandpaper or cloth, such as flooring guys use, like 36 grit, or even as file as 60 grit....you can scarify the surface quickly and very effectively to enhance the adhesion of any glue or JB weld stuff you want to use. Faster and more consistent than a Dremel bit. Clean thoroughly with alcohol or similar to degrease the surface prior to application.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gary rabbitt

PostSubject: Re: Cracked Bakelite   Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:18 pm

Tony Wells wrote:
. Faster and more consistent than a Dremel bit. Clean thoroughly with alcohol or similar to degrease the surface prior to application.

Degrease is good before the scarfying.
36 grit would be good. More then one way (as usual) to do things. I can use the cylindrical tip on the Dremel, oscillate it back and forth fast enough to scarify the area. Back and forth, then cross hatch in less and 30 sec.
So either way, the point is just to get the area rough so your material (JB, epoxy, f'glass resin, bubble gum) will grip.
If it is slick, the epoxy will peel right off, and leave no trace that it has ever been there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OtakuN3rd

PostSubject: Re: Cracked Bakelite   Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:36 am

Thanks for the tips!

Where would be a good place to get that fiberglass cloth and resin?

That was a nice job on that Philco! Thankfully mine isn't in that bad of condition, nothing has chipped off.

I'll give sandpaper a try, but I may pull out my Dremel if I can't get in the corners with the sandpaper.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tony Wells

PostSubject: Re: Cracked Bakelite   Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:39 am

Auto parts stores usually carry something to repair fiberglass boats and that full size plastic model car, the Corvette. Look in the body repair section.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
K6JEK

PostSubject: Re: Cracked Bakelite   Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:15 pm

gary rabbitt wrote:
Hi,

http://www.philcoradio.com/notebook/3812cbi.htm

Gary.

Impressive
Back to top Go down
View user profile
melw

PostSubject: Re: Cracked Bakelite   Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:55 pm

OtakuN3rd wrote:
Thanks for the tips!

Where would be a good place to get that fiberglass cloth and resin?

That was a nice job on that Philco! Thankfully mine isn't in that bad of condition, nothing has chipped off.

I'll give sandpaper a try, but I may pull out my Dremel if I can't get in the corners with the sandpaper.

Tap plastics has it.
Mel W.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gary rabbitt

PostSubject: Re: Cracked Bakelite   Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:08 am

Thanks K6JEK,
It was a little overkill, but I didn't want that to come back apart Smile

Resin and such can be bought at Lowe's or many home centers, hardware stores, and automotive outlets.

By building a 'dam' from masking tape, you can pour resin in to make a missing piece. It can be flushly sanded on the outside, but the inside should still have a glass cloth backup.

Shaping done with a rough file, then finer grits of paper keeping everything in line with a block.

Take care,
Gary.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bronxboy

PostSubject: Re: Cracked Bakelite   Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:09 am

good advice/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cracked Bakelite   

Back to top Go down