Antique Radios Forum

This is the temporary home of the Antique Radio Forums while a new server to host it is being found. You will have to register here to post. Please Note: None of these topics will be preserved when the original forums are back.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Need a manufacturer Anybody recognise??

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dave Slusarczyk

PostSubject: Need a manufacturer Anybody recognise??   Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:35 pm

There is no name on the dial or cabinet. I do however have a model 76 on the tube layout label. The tube layout is 54, 6A7, 1B5, 30, 30, 30. Seems odd to me to throw in a 6 volt tube in the mix. I am considering converting this to AC operation and having one 6 volt tube changes things considerably.

Thanks,
Dave
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pixellany

PostSubject: Re: Need a manufacturer Anybody recognise??   Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:50 pm

I'm getting nowhere with the grillecloth tool---can you post the exact tube layout, including the apparent function---eg RF stage, converter, IF stage(s), audio, rectifier

Also, you say 3 #30s, but I don't see any 3 tubes that look the same
Back to top Go down
View user profile
simplex1040

PostSubject: Re: Need a manufacturer Anybody recognise??   Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:08 pm

Looks Detrola ish
Back to top Go down
View user profile
glasdave

PostSubject: Re: Need a manufacturer Anybody recognise??   Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:09 am

Frankenset.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dave McClellan

PostSubject: Re: Need a manufacturer Anybody recognise??   Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:13 am

According to Radiomuseum, it is a TRAVELER model 76. If so, the first tube should be a 34 and the 6A7 should be a 1C6. So it may INDEED be a Frankenradio. There should also be a ballast tube. The chassis layout does not seem to match.

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/travler_76.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dave McClellan

PostSubject: Re: Need a manufacturer Anybody recognise??   Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:17 am

WHOOPS! Looking at the wrong photo. You are correct: Traveler model 76 uses 6A7, 34, 1B5, 30, 30, 30. Radioruseum has the schematic, but NOT the chassis layout.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dave Slusarczyk

PostSubject: Re: Need a manufacturer Anybody recognise??   Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:09 pm

I just got back in. Thank-you guys for all your help!!

Dave
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Johncb

PostSubject: Re: Need a manufacturer Anybody recognise??   Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:52 pm

Whatever it is,... I like it. Post some pics when you get done with it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dale Davenport

PostSubject: Re: Need a manufacturer Anybody recognise??   Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:01 pm

Quote :
Frankenset.

No Way Jose,

Dave, I like your little six volt Tombstone style set - - probably cause I have an unrestored example sitting here in the shop.

A comparison:

Seen from the rear, my chassis has a good deal of rust - - nothing that can't be handled, but sure not as nice as your example:

The tuning end of things:

Getting down to the business of who produced this little set - - - It was "Parker McCrory"

Yep, folks, its a "Par-Mac:"

As far as what the model No. is - - that's easy on most Par-Mac sets - - it is stenciled on the speaker frame - - - in this case its a Model "76."

A final thought, here's a close-up shot of the original grill cloth on my set:

I hope some of this is of use Dave. These aren't all that commonly seen, and I love the details and over all "look" of these little sets.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
glasdave

PostSubject: Re: Need a manufacturer Anybody recognise??   Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:11 am

Dave Slusarczyk wrote:
There is no name on the dial or cabinet. I do however have a model 76 on the tube layout label. The tube layout is 54, 6A7, 1B5, 30, 30, 30. Seems odd to me to throw in a 6 volt tube in the mix. I am considering converting this to AC operation and having one 6 volt tube changes things considerably.

Thanks,
Dave

This is the puzzling part, maybe an other chassis in the 76 cabinet?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pixellany

PostSubject: Re: Need a manufacturer Anybody recognise??   Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:06 am

But doesn't the chassis in Dale's seem to be the same?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dale Davenport

PostSubject: Re: Need a manufacturer Anybody recognise??   Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:32 am

Quote :
But doesn't the chassis in Dale's seem to be the same?

Yup - - - same chassis - - but Dave's is in a whole lot better shape.

The only difference I can discern so far is that of the escutcheons - - - maybe a matter of different production runs or possibly a holdover model for a second year in one of the two examples represented here.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dave Slusarczyk

PostSubject: Re: Need a manufacturer Anybody recognise??   Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:16 am

Thank-you Dale for the great information. Rather interesting and enlightening.

Here are a couple of pics. I was able to retain the original finish. I did shoot a couple of coats of mohawk as a final treatment. This set operates off of 6 volt supply for both the filament and vibrator. I was at first going to remove the vibrator and install a transformer. After powering it up and findig that it plays rather well utilizing the vibrator I opted to restore it originally. Thankfully I had a small 6 volt power supply able to handle the current which mounted quite well under the top of the cabinet. It is almost unoticable.

On a side note. While reinstalling the dial galss it cracked!! It is a weird shape and is also concave as well. It made me sick. I even said a couple of choice words that I did not know were in my vocabulary. With that said Dale if you opt not to restore yours I would be very gratefull for the chance to purchase your glass or even the entire set. On the other hand if you opt to restore I will gladly send you a 6 volt supply that works geat in mine for free. I have several and they are outstanding supplies. VERY clean an able to handle 6 volts at 2.5 amps and 5 volt at 3 amps. There is als a pot that I have used to drop the voltage to 3.5 volts for my 199 tubed sets. I am certain you will like. Really cool stuff!

Let me know Dale.

Dave
Back to top Go down
View user profile
glasdave

PostSubject: Re: Need a manufacturer Anybody recognise??   Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:36 pm

Must be the angle of the shot, doesn't seem like the other 2 tubes will fit behind the power supply box Question
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dave Slusarczyk

PostSubject: Re: Need a manufacturer Anybody recognise??   Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:51 pm

glasdave wrote:
Must be the angle of the shot, doesn't seem like the other 2 tubes will fit behind the power supply box Question

I can promise you they do. See the second to last picture. Very Happy

Dave
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dale Davenport

PostSubject: Re: Need a manufacturer Anybody recognise??   Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:20 pm

Quote :
This set operates off of 6 volt supply for both the filament and vibrator. I was at first going to remove the vibrator and install a transformer. After powering it up and findig that it plays rather well utilizing the vibrator I opted to restore it originally. Thankfully I had a small 6 volt power supply able to handle the current which mounted quite well under the top of the cabinet. It is almost unoticable.

I'm glad you opted to restore rather than convert the wee beastie Dave. It may not be to everyone's taste but I kinda like keeping em as original as possible. There's no shortage of sets to listen to on a daily basis, but the odd and unusual sets are fun to show off once in a while too - - - besides, at some point there won't be many of em left for folks to see and understand a little of how our parents and others did it - - - "way back when."

I doubt I need to remind Dave, but for others who may be keeping up with the thread or stumble on it - - be sure to always change out the buffer condenser(s) in these old vibrator power supplies (even if you think they are OK). Its true for automobile radios and just as true for any other set with a vibrator power supply.

Quote :
On a side note. While reinstalling the dial galss it cracked!! It is a weird shape and is also concave as well. It made me sick. I even said a couple of choice words that I did not know were in my vocabulary. With that said Dale if you opt not to restore yours I would be very gratefull for the chance to purchase your glass or even the entire set. On the other hand if you opt to restore I will gladly send you a 6 volt supply that works geat in mine for free. I have several and they are outstanding supplies. VERY clean an able to handle 6 volts at 2.5 amps and 5 volt at 3 amps. There is also a pot that I have used to drop the voltage to 3.5 volts for my 199 tubed sets. I am certain you will like. Really cool stuff!

PM sent Dave.

I thought this might be a good place to drag up another stalled restoration - - another Par-Mak set that I'm really wanting to bring back from the dead.

Here's a couple of front and back photos of a Par-Mak model "733 Masterpiece."

(I want to add here that most of the photos of this set are of my example of these curious receivers, but the above chassis view was provided by Bob Lozier.)

The most distinguishing feature of these seven tube 6 volt sets is the use of twin speakerrs:

Par-Mac also produced a single speaker version of the model 733 which is also occasionally seen.

Here is a better look at a complete version of a twin speaker model 733 Par-Mak:

My problem is - - - my Par-Mak 733 is missing the dial scale assy:

A year or so ago, following another discussion thread on these sets, a Forum member supplied me with the missing escutcheon ring and pointer - - but I'm still missing a dial scale.

Here is what a correct dial scale looks like:

I'm in need of a replacement dial scale for a Par-Mak model 733, or some suggestions on how to bring this set to at least a presentable appearance. Heck - - - at this point I'm thinking of putting a clock face in the damned thing just to fill the hole and have a place to mount my escutcheon - - - (just kidding folks).

Help me out here somebody - - - does anyone have a suggestion or even better - - - a salvageable Par-Mak lurking about that they would like to find a good home for?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dave Slusarczyk

PostSubject: Re: Need a manufacturer Anybody recognise??   Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:45 am

A real interesting set Dale!! I like it! Too bad about the dial. I hope it is not as difficult to locate one as I am envisioning. I too try to keep things original. Our sets only have the original finish once. Plus the uniqueness of this design it just seemed right to maintain its originality.

Dave
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need a manufacturer Anybody recognise??   

Back to top Go down

Need a manufacturer Anybody recognise??
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1