Antique Radios Forum

This is the temporary home of the Antique Radio Forums while a new server to host it is being found. You will have to register here to post. Please Note: None of these topics will be preserved when the original forums are back.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Majestic Lido

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Raymanretro

PostSubject: Majestic Lido   Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:05 am

Exactly what you don`t want to hear form the seller. Beautiful Majestic.

Not all the tubes light, but I have no way of testing them. After being turned on for about two minutes, the the radio started to overheat with a faint crackling noise, but I couldn't figure the its origin.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Majestic-776-LIDO-Console-1933-Art-Deco-Tube-Radio-/260678301040?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb1a33570
Back to top Go down
View user profile
deltysdal

PostSubject: Transformer is out   Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:43 pm

More than likely the crackling from a shorted transformer wiring. You will need a new tranny more than likely. That is one nice radio and well worth restoring.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Raymanretro

PostSubject: Re: Majestic Lido   Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:06 pm

Thats what I thought. Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JG Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Majestic Lido   Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:25 am

Have the seller look to see if any potting material has oozed from the bottom of the transformer........ Suspect ... Occasionally shorted filter caps will make a sizzling sound as the electrolyte heats up to near boiling and starts to vent.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
k9uwa

PostSubject: Re: Majestic Lido   Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:07 pm

This could prove to be a most interesting auction. Yes I have a very nice totally restored Lido.
It may well be for sale one of these days. Cabinet on the one I have has an original finish on all but the top which did have to be refinished. The rest I think Jean shot a coat of fresh clear over the whole works when she redid the top. Will be interesting to see how this one does.

I agree about the possibilites on the transformer may well still be OK.

John k9uwa
Back to top Go down
View user profile
y2kbruce

PostSubject: Re: Majestic Lido   Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:43 pm

There is a local collector of Majestics just a few miles from me and he has all the consoles and most of the rest of the SMART sets.

These consoles are very small when you see them in person. My Royale model 85 is not large but it towers over some of these other more valuable sets. Pretty nice players too for circa 1934 designs. Their big deal that year was tubes with multiple functions.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Majestic Lido   

Back to top Go down

Majestic Lido
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1