Antique Radios Forum

This is the temporary home of the Antique Radio Forums while a new server to host it is being found. You will have to register here to post. Please Note: None of these topics will be preserved when the original forums are back.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Is this transformer made of unobtainium ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bob D.

PostSubject: Is this transformer made of unobtainium ?   Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:43 pm

Well I finally ran into a restoration with a bad power transformer. A substitution is not going to work. This transformer has an extra "special" winding and a "special" tap on the HV winding.

This is the power transformer from an AMI Continental II Jukebox. The numbers on the transformer are - L2207 and 1386148.

Any possible source for this part?

Bob D.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
smeezekitty

PostSubject: Re: Is this transformer made of unobtainium ?   Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:14 pm

Bob D. wrote:
Well I finally ran into a restoration with a bad power transformer. A substitution is not going to work. This transformer has an extra "special" winding and a "special" tap on the HV winding.

This is the power transformer from an AMI Continental II Jukebox. The numbers on the transformer are - L2207 and 1386148.

Any possible source for this part?

Bob D.
With a schematic, you may be able to "make do"
Have a schematic?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
juanitosan

PostSubject: Re: Is this transformer made of unobtainium ?   Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:58 pm

I ran into this on an old scope with a bad HV Transformer that used a special winding. After identifying the winding I installed a Low Voltage transformer to augment the HV Transformer, since finding an exact match would have been a long shot. Ideally the schema, if available will identify the winding/windings required.

Best,

JP
Back to top Go down
View user profile
burnt fingers

PostSubject: Re: Is this transformer made of unobtainium ?   Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:03 pm

It can be rewound.

Try Gary at http://tubes_tubes_tubes.tripod.com/tubestubestubes/id33.html

Carl
Back to top Go down
View user profile
focalpoint

PostSubject: Re: Is this transformer made of unobtainium ?   Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:29 pm

juanitosan wrote:
I ran into this on an old scope with a bad HV Transformer that used a special winding. After identifying the winding I installed a Low Voltage transformer to augment the HV Transformer, since finding an exact match would have been a long shot. Ideally the schema, if available will identify the winding/windings required.

Best,

JP

That was basically going to be my suggestion -- parallel the primaries of several different individual transformers to provide the right output voltages.

Do we know the volt/current requirements?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
andreatanic

PostSubject: Re: Is this transformer made of unobtainium ?   Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:02 pm

Have you tried durfee coin op?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bob D.

PostSubject: Re: Is this transformer made of unobtainium ?   Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:24 pm

I have more information about this transformer, and I started a new topic. Here's what I posted.

I recently posted about my shorted AMI jukebox transformer, asking if it was make of "unobtainium". The short appeared to be in the lower half of the HV winding. I removed the transformer from the chassis, and the short magically disappeared. I re-installed the transformer and the short reappeared. (This is with all the tubes removed, and the wiring carefully inspected.)
Now here's the weird part, I'm measuring 2.5 ohms from the transformer lead marked "BL" to the lower HV lead marked "R". The "BL" lead goes to ground. So the real short appears to be from the "BL" lead to the lower "R" lead. What the heck does the "BL" lead go to inside the transformer, and what does it do? Can I just leave the "BL" lead disconnected? I have proper voltage on all leads with the "BL" lead disconnected.

Bob D.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is this transformer made of unobtainium ?   

Back to top Go down

Is this transformer made of unobtainium ?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1