Antique Radios Forum

This is the temporary home of the Antique Radio Forums while a new server to host it is being found. You will have to register here to post. Please Note: None of these topics will be preserved when the original forums are back.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Best tube color TV?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
DaMadFiddler

PostSubject: Best tube color TV?   Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:08 pm

I'm not much of a TV person; my only experience is the brief encounter I had with a Zenith porthole, which I'm saving for a winter project.

What are some good models of non-transistorized color TVs? Performance-wise, reliability, looks, ease of service?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
radionovice

PostSubject: Re: Best tube color TV?   Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:07 pm

Back in the '60s and '70s I did a fair amount of work with 23 and 25 inch sets. The best ones were Zenith, RCA, and Philco. They seemed to be all of what you mention. I was kind of partial to RCA, when it came to owning one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blustar1

PostSubject: Re: Best tube color TV?   Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:10 pm

My uncle purchased a new 25" RCA Victor color television set in 1963 (at the time that color tv's were just starting to come out) and we all soon afterwards watched the 1952 movie "David and Bathsheba" on that set. The colors on that set were unbelievably sharp and vivid. It was without question a spectacular set.

A few years later, my father unfortunately purchased a new 25" Zenith color television set in 1967 and the colors on that set were mediocre to say the least. The grass on the baseball field for instance would always appear to be bluish-green; none of the colors were right on that set. The only good thing about that set was that it had plenty of gain.

I myself purchased a used 25" 1969 Magnavox color television in 1984 from a relative and the colors on that set were soft and natural. It was an exceptionally well engineered set.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Adam2

PostSubject: Re: Best tube color TV?   Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:09 pm

I like the Zeniths the best, best picture and most trouble-free. (I would put up a pic of my 1965 Zenith (25MC33 chassis) working if I knew how to in this forum) Zenith continued to use point-to-point wiring, long after everyone else went to circuit boards, and I find they really did (as advertised) hold up better. (I've had 1965 21", 1967 25", 1968 21", and 1971 19" Zenith tube color sets.)

RCAs - I've had two CTC15s ('63 and '65 21"), and a ctc-10 ('60 21"), the 10 has actually been the most trouble free. The two 15s I had kept having trouble with color sync, and would eat those 6GH8 color osc tubes. I've used my ctc-10 regularly for about 3 years now and had very few problems with it.
The only Philco I had used an RCA ctc-15 chassis.

The two GEs (11" portacolors '68 and '72) I've had I didn't have too much trouble with, but never got too good of a picture in comparison to the Zeniths and RCAs.

The two Magnavox tube color sets I've had ('65 21", '67 23") both ate the flyback, one actually caught fire and stunk up my place for days.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Radiosmoker

PostSubject: Re: Best tube color TV?   Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:03 am

Remember when they came out with Black matrix screen, that was a real improvement in color then the TVs that had a comb filter were considered a giant leap in color purity.

Its a whats the best, like a Ford and Chevy argument. Some might consider Curtis Mathis a top dog (not my opinion of course), its a relentless search for opinions not scientific proofs.

When color TVs first came out they had the brightness equivalent of 5 foot candles, then came better phosphers and higher voltages and they went up to around 150 foot candles.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bronxboy

PostSubject: Re: Best tube color TV?   Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:51 am

Those were the days, my friends. We thought they'd never end.
Zenith was a name to trust.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tim Tress

PostSubject: Re: Best tube color TV?   Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:40 am

I'm another one who thinks that the 1960s Zenith color sets were pretty good; I always thought that they showed a better green than the RCAs. They WERE a bit easier to work on!

Blustar, it sounds like your Dad's Zenith had a demodulator problem; it should have worked better than that.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blustar1

PostSubject: Re: Best tube color TV?   Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:58 am

Tim: I wholeheartedly agree. I spoke to my father today about that Zenith set and he reiterated that the set was indeed "new" when he purchased it. That new 25" Zenith color console should have performed far better, but there is more to the story.
On the day when that set was delivered, there was sound but no raster on the screen so my father had to send it back for repair. A new picture tube was installed but they probably didn't set up the picture tube correctly as evidenced by the lack of true colors.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
philsoldradios

PostSubject: Re: Best tube color TV?   Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:55 pm

As the owner of two RCA CTC-11s, I'll put in a vote for that model. Easy to restore, nice picture, stable and trouble-free in operation. Here's my first one:

http://antiqueradio.org/RCACTC-11Television.htm

I haven't owned later CTCs, or any other brand, so I can't comment on them.

Phil Nelson
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://antiqueradio.org/index.html
Wendell2009

PostSubject: Re: Best tube color TV?   Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:06 pm

the rca ctc11 is a nice tv been trying to locate one for myself
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bob

PostSubject: Re: Best tube color TV?   Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:46 pm

In my living room is a 25" Andrea that was my mothers. It outlasted her and I've had it for the last 35+ years. Original picture tube and still sharp and bright. OZ-25 chassis.

Bruce Hagen
Back to top Go down
View user profile
philsoldradios

PostSubject: Re: Best tube color TV?   Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:45 pm

An Andrea tube color set? Do you know when it was made? This site lists a few Andrea TVs:

http://www.tvhistory.tv/1950-59-ANDREA.htm

Phil Nelson
Back to top Go down
Bob

PostSubject: Re: Best tube color TV?   Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:20 am

Hi Phil:

Would have to go into the set (which I will do very soon) and look at a few parts dates but the window would be 68 - 72. I sent info on these to the link you supplied a year or so ago but he has not used it for what ever reason. I was an Andrea dealer at one point and later on a mfr. rep for them. If you have interest I can scan and email stuff.

Bruce Hagen
Back to top Go down
View user profile
philsoldradios

PostSubject: Re: Best tube color TV?   Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:33 pm

Thanks, I was just idly curious. You rarely hear "Andrea" and "tube color" mentioned together.

The tvhistory site is a good reference, but I don't know how often it's updated.

Phil
Back to top Go down
Tim Tress

PostSubject: Re: Best tube color TV?   Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:38 pm

Yes, there are a lot more sets that could be included in that TV website; I don't think that it has been updated in quite a while.

Tim KA3JRT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best tube color TV?   

Back to top Go down

Best tube color TV?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1