Antique Radios Forum

This is the temporary home of the Antique Radio Forums while a new server to host it is being found. You will have to register here to post. Please Note: None of these topics will be preserved when the original forums are back.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Philco 96 Speaker Rattle

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sprague

PostSubject: Philco 96 Speaker Rattle   Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:53 pm

Hello everybody.
I have a Philco 96 radio. You probably know what they are, a BC only Tallboy that has 9 tubes with two 45's in push-pull. This is the one with the speaker that looks like it is made of a burlap sack.
My problem comes with the speaker having an awful rattle. When it is turned up to listening volume, it will rattle to no end. My question is about the screw in the center. The speaker isn't secure to the screw. I noticed that if you push in on the center of the speaker cone until it hits the piece behind it, it won't rattle. The screw is to that piece. Is the screw supposed to hold the speaker cone itself, or is it supposed to be held in some other way? If the speaker cone is supposed to be secured by the screw, I will just get a larger washer and put on the screw, becuase where the old washer is, the speaker has torn out from around it. The rest of the speaker is in great shape, but that is the only problem.
Any help would be great.
Thanks,
Brian.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wcirco

PostSubject: Re: Philco 96 Speaker Rattle   Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:24 pm

Yes put a new washer on it and it will get rid of your rattle.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sprague

PostSubject: Re: Philco 96 Speaker Rattle   Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:49 pm

Ok. I'll do that then. I just wanted to make sure that I wouldn't goof anything up by doing so.
Thanks alot,
Brian
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jim Berg

PostSubject: Re: Philco 96 Speaker Rattle   Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:20 am

Remember that center screw also allows for centering the voice coil. You will need to do this also. 3 thin strips of a business card or strips of plastic will usually work. Slid down between pole piece and voice coil.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Don Cavey

PostSubject: Re: Philco 96 Speaker Rattle   Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:48 am

Jim Berg wrote:
Remember that center screw also allows for centering the voice coil. You will need to do this also. 3 thin strips of a business card or strips of plastic will usually work. Slid down between pole piece and voice coil.

Absolutely. And if not done, two things will happen. Rubbing voice coil that may sound nasty and rubbing voice coil that may eventually wear open. It works...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sprague

PostSubject: Re: Philco 96 Speaker Rattle   Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:20 am

I haven't noticed any bad sounds from it. When I took the screw out, did that make that piece loose? I will look at it in a bit here.
Thanks for telling me that, that could have been bad.
Thanks,
Brian
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Philco 96 Speaker Rattle   

Back to top Go down

Philco 96 Speaker Rattle
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1