Antique Radios Forum

This is the temporary home of the Antique Radio Forums while a new server to host it is being found. You will have to register here to post. Please Note: None of these topics will be preserved when the original forums are back.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

6L7G tube question

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
zenithguy

PostSubject: 6L7G tube question   Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:36 am

Working on a Firestone radio it uses the 6L7G as a detector tube. The base is loose and the glass bulb moves slightly with a twist. After (finally) finding a broken wire on the antenna coil and swearing as I soldered litz wire UI now have a connection thru the coil. I can touch the grid cap on the top of the tube and hear lots of stations but they are very weak without touching that cap. Last night with the lights out I noticed some blue glowing spots on the screen on the inside of the bulb do you guys think this is a indication of a bad tube?

I have been concentrating on the cabinet as cold weather is coming and I want that done first so I havent given allot of time to the chassis.

Cheers
Mike
Back to top Go down
View user profile
radiotechnician

PostSubject: Re: 6L7G tube question   Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:17 am

Blue glow in a tube is not a serious issue: Some tubes have fluorescence showing on the glass. Blue-orange glow is bad and if the 6L7 looked like that it would be glowing hot and there would be smoke elsewhere on the chassis.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

6L7G tube question
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1