Antique Radios Forum

This is the temporary home of the Antique Radio Forums while a new server to host it is being found. You will have to register here to post. Please Note: None of these topics will be preserved when the original forums are back.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Atwater Kent question

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
werick

PostSubject: Atwater Kent question   Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:39 am

Hi Guys:

This is my first Atwater Kent restoration, it's a Model 55 in a metal box. Beautiful cosmetic shape, but not so good electrically.

I checked the resistance on the transformers, all seem good. I plugged it in and all the tubes light with no noises and no glowing 80 rectifier. But no sound from the speaker.

When I got to the resistors I found most of them way off on the high side. A couple were even open. I think I read, on the old forum, that this was problematic on AK's.

Here is where my question lies: All of them are quite large. Most about 2" with lead caps and some even larger. What are the wattage on these? Can I use 1/2 watt resistors to replace most of them? The larger, I am thinking 2 to 5 watt?

The capacitors actually check out good, but I will replace, all I see, under the chassis.

Thanks for the help. And thanks for these great forums. I hope all goes well!!

Warren
Back to top Go down
View user profile
philco fan

PostSubject: Re: Atwater Kent question   Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:16 am

hi,i use 2 watters with no problems.
phil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
richfair

PostSubject: Re: Atwater Kent question   Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:07 pm

You can't go wrong with 2 watters, they are fine for size, not quite as large as the originals but look good under there. There are several resistors made of resistance wire, those are generally perfect or opened entirely and easy to find. The other 6 or so resistors can be replaced by 1/2 watt resistors, or 1 or 2 watt or whatever you have on hand. Very little heat is dissapated by them.

I recently finished a 55C chassis, and I molded resistor lookalikes for under the chassis, using modern 1/2 watt parts. The visual results are only so-so, but it was an interesting project. If you have any interest in something like that, you can probably do better than I did. The link below is for my own attempt. (The cabinet is not quite done, I cannot finish until next spring.)

http://www.pharoahaudio.com/ak55cpart1.html The resistor molding starts on page 4
Back to top Go down
View user profile
werick

PostSubject: Re: Atwater Kent question   Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:47 pm

Hi Richfair:

Wonderful article, on the 55, on your website. I have some of the same problems. Although my speaker field and local/distant switch are ok. Great tip on the tuning knob rubber. I have the same problem and will use your tip.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
richfair

PostSubject: Re: Atwater Kent question   Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:51 pm

Thanks! The tuning knob rubber tip comes directly from other ARF members. People often use fuel line, probably it is a little tougher than the clear stuff I used, but well, we use what we have. Good luck. The 55 is a great performer!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blustar1

PostSubject: Re: Atwater Kent question   Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:09 pm

Just about all of those wire wound resistors on the Atwater Kent 55's are at least 8 watt. Moreover, the most common wattage currently available in those resistances are 10 watt, and that is what I primarily used in my two restorations. As far as the sound problem is concerned, I would definitely desolder every single wire from the filter condenser assembly and recheck the capacitances.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Atwater Kent question   

Back to top Go down

Atwater Kent question
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1