Antique Radios Forum

This is the temporary home of the Antique Radio Forums while a new server to host it is being found. You will have to register here to post. Please Note: None of these topics will be preserved when the original forums are back.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Selenium rectifier replacement/voltage question

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
dschulma

PostSubject: Selenium rectifier replacement/voltage question   Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:57 pm

I've replaced the selenium rectifier on my Zenith C845 with the appropriate diode/resistor combo. I measured the voltage after the resistor and come up with 126.4 VDC, which is fine, however, I also see a 5.6 VAC component as well. Is this normal? Unfortunately, I didn't measure any voltages with the selenium in place so I could compare the two. Any explanation or thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
David, WD0ERU
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TexMac

PostSubject: Re: Selenium rectifier replacement/voltage question   Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:20 pm

Are you measuring before or after the filters?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dschulma

PostSubject: Re: Selenium rectifier replacement/voltage question   Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:34 pm

Ahhh...before the filters, that would explain it! (I think)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TexMac

PostSubject: Re: Selenium rectifier replacement/voltage question   Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:54 pm

Likely, but there are some other considerations. A DMM might show some AC riding through, but a 20,000 Ohm/V analog meter may not due to loading. Sometimes you can see some weird stuff with a digital meter. Remember the readings on your schematic were usually with the radio on, the volume control full on and no signal. The readings were also based on typical instrumentation in the typical service shop at the time the radio was built. About the best available might be a VTVM for the grid circuits. If you work on very early sets the voltmeters were even more dicey.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dschulma

PostSubject: Re: Selenium rectifier replacement/voltage question   Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:56 pm

Thanks for the info, makes perfectly good sense! I'll have to try it with my RCA WV-98C and see if I get an AC reading.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tubes4life

PostSubject: Re: Selenium rectifier replacement/voltage question   Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:22 pm

I wouldn't even bother checking; I'm sure it's fine.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Selenium rectifier replacement/voltage question   

Back to top Go down

Selenium rectifier replacement/voltage question
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1