Antique Radios Forum

This is the temporary home of the Antique Radio Forums while a new server to host it is being found. You will have to register here to post. Please Note: None of these topics will be preserved when the original forums are back.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Need help identifying a capacitor symbol

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
crustydave

PostSubject: Need help identifying a capacitor symbol   Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:20 pm

Hello all....I'm new to the forum.

I just bought an RCA U46 radio/phonograph...somewhat for the walnut cabinet.

The radio actually worked for about 5 minutes after I replaced the power cord....then it smoked.

I'm in the process of recapping it, replacing all the paper and electrolytic can capacitors. I believe the one can is what fried. I am trying to post a picture of the schematic...but the symbol for the cap is like this: –ӏ]–

http://i26.servimg.com/u/f26/15/76/89/23/c40_th12.jpg

I believe that the C40 thru C42 caps are in a can, but I've never seen the symbol....so I don't know which side is pos, which is neg.

Please help. Dave
Back to top Go down
View user profile
philco fan

PostSubject: Re: Need help identifying a capacitor symbol   Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:31 pm

hi,the cup part is neg.,the plate looking part is positive.
phil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tony Wells

PostSubject: Re: Need help identifying a capacitor symbol   Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:34 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
crustydave

PostSubject: So this is just another symbol for an electrolytic cap?   Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:56 pm

Thanks Phil

So this is just another symbol for an electrolytic cap?

Dave
Back to top Go down
View user profile
vacuum tubes tesla coil

PostSubject: Re: Need help identifying a capacitor symbol   Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:10 pm

yes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
philco fan

PostSubject: Re: Need help identifying a capacitor symbol   Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:33 pm

2nd on the yep!
phil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gary rabbitt

PostSubject: Re: Need help identifying a capacitor symbol   Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:17 pm

Hi,
I hope you didn't burn out the transformer if so equipped. Common practice (of you are not going to recap immediately) is to slowly powerup after an inspection. Then if it plays, power it down and recap at least the electrolytics.

Some sets will "work" on a powerup but leaving them on longer than a minute or so, can damage parts if the cap fully fails. Whick sounds like what happened.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need help identifying a capacitor symbol   

Back to top Go down

Need help identifying a capacitor symbol
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1