Antique Radios Forum

This is the temporary home of the Antique Radio Forums while a new server to host it is being found. You will have to register here to post. Please Note: None of these topics will be preserved when the original forums are back.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Help Identify This Radio

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
forjack842

PostSubject: Help Identify This Radio   Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:36 am

This appears to be a Mercury Super 10 but the face is nowhere to be found so far. Does anyone know anything about it?
Thanks[b]

http://i26.servimg.com/u/f26/15/76/93/17/b12icg11.jpg
http://i26.servimg.com/u/f26/15/76/93/17/b12iis11.jpg

Any help greatly appreciated!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Johnnysan

PostSubject: Re: Help Identify This Radio   Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:46 am

NICE radio!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dale Davenport

PostSubject: Re: Help Identify This Radio   Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:16 am

Quote :
This appears to be a Mercury Super 10 but the face is nowhere to be found so far. Does anyone know anything about it?

Well - - - I said I would only lurk for a while and wouldn't post anymore on the forum - - - - - but this one is too interesting to pass up.
It deserves an answer, though I don't know I can be of much help. (I have tried to reduce the photo sizes as much as possible and still be able to see details, just so the natives with pitchforks in hand will maybe be mollified to a degree - - - or else they'll shun your topic because of my efforts and photos).

Pretty much everything about the set looks correct - - - The "H.M. Kipp" decal on the underside of the lid looks OK, even the logo down the center of the front panel could be correct (though I've not seen one previously).

The big problems (that I can see) are with the front panel. The Pilot brand dials and dial-scales aren't what were usually seen. All of the Mercury Super Ten sets I am aware of used the fairly commonly seen Kurz Kasch brand vernier dial-drives.

The dials, dial-drives, and escutcheons on this version look to be the normal Pilot offerings, usually seen on such things as the Super Wasp and other Pilot models from the late 20s.

The Logo may or may not be something used by the Mercury Super Ten folks, but its not one I've previously seen. My good friend, the late Herb Fredrickson, had at least three of these seldom seen sets as I recall; and was highly complementary of their performance. Herb also cussed them from the standpoint of accurate documentation and ease of repair/service.

On the other hand:

The cabinet of the set in question is probably correct, (at least it is a model previously seen housing Mercury Super 10 receivers).

The chassis looks to be correct as well, including the plug-in loading coils on the ends of the chassis proper - - - the coils came in pairs with four sets available covering 9 to 190 meters continuously. I don't have a view from the same perspective, but flipping your photo and comparing it with what I do have in my files looks correct - - -

Mercury Super Tens were available from the Fall of 1925 until maybe sometime in 1930) - - (Based on a notation on the schematic). Cabinets included a "Deluxe" model, a Model "D" cabinet, and a "Desk" console. The sets were also available in a kit form too - - - some speaker-cabinet variations in size and style were offered as well.

Here is a scan of the Schematic for those who haven't seen it:

To the point of your original query - - -
Quote :
Does anyone know anything about it?
I don't know if or not that is an original Mercury Super 10 panel and controls. Its well done and looks correct but it sure isn't a version I have previously seen.

Maybe Rick or one of the other early Superhet guys will weigh in here.

That said, I'll get out of here once and for all.

Last edited by Dale Davenport on Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:37 am; edited 7 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
IndianaRadios

PostSubject: Re: Help Identify This Radio   Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:46 am

I tend to agree with everything Dale has mentioned. I believe that model was Mercury's attempt to update their model to the latest styling of that time (1927 or 1928). This would include silk screened logos, high ratio tuning with lighted dials in which Pilot dials fulfilled this requirement perfectly, and newer knobs. The only thing that throws me off are the two styles of switches. The On/Off switch down below doesn't match up, style wise, with the dial light switch up above. Was this done on purpose by the factory or was the dial light switch a non factory design add on.

Another reason I think Mercury chose to use Pilot dials instead of Kurz Kasch dials is because of the arrangement of the controls and logo on the front panel. The usage of Kurz Kasch dials would have crowded in much of the panel while using the Pilot dials, the controls and logo would be fairly evenly spaced making the over layout of the panel appealing to the eye.

Last edited by IndianaRadios on Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.indianaradios.com
Dale Davenport

PostSubject: Re: Help Identify This Radio   Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:58 am

Quote :
The only thing that throws me off are the two styles of switches. The On/Off switch down below doesn't match up, style wise, with the dial light switch up above.

Duane - - Just a thought - - - But:

I'm wondering if the top switch may just be lacking the hard-rubber knob - - - often crumbled and missing on this switch style?

Hard to tell from my blown-up photo copy, but the brand of switch may be different, in spite of my theory - - could'a been a service/replacement on one of em through the years - - - oh well - - -back to breakfast.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mal Fuller

PostSubject: Re: Help Identify This Radio   Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:58 am

A curious mind (mine) would like to know the details on what type of tubes are shown in this Mercury radio? Basing, type #, manufacturer, filament voltage, current and so forth.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
forjack842

PostSubject: Another set of pics of the front panel and chassis out of cabinet   Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:05 am

I wish to sincerely thank all of you who responded. I've spend days and long nights looking for any information on this radio and have found little. As seemly popular in Canada there's virtually nothing of indepth knowledge on the later models.

HAs anyone found the coil pairs or been able to repro them or know of anyone who has design info to make the various pairs. The radio cam with a off standard broadcast frequency coil pair I believe from the photo's is in the 50-90 wave band - ~ 80 meters.

As you might have guessed I have not received the radio as of yet its in transit. I won it on Ebay.

Below are 2 more pics of the radio outside the case which may help a bit more.

http://i26.servimg.com/u/f26/15/76/93/17/b12ijg10.jpg
http://i26.servimg.com/u/f26/15/76/93/17/b12ijg11.jpg

Again Thank You Thank you!!

Mel, THey are all 215-A WE

Jack KG6INX
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mal Fuller

PostSubject: Re: Help Identify This Radio   Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:09 am

Never heard of anyone winning anything on eBay.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help Identify This Radio   

Back to top Go down

Help Identify This Radio
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1