Antique Radios Forum

This is the temporary home of the Antique Radio Forums while a new server to host it is being found. You will have to register here to post. Please Note: None of these topics will be preserved when the original forums are back.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Synchronous vibrator repacement

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
frankradio1

PostSubject: Synchronous vibrator repacement   Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:34 am

Hello,
I have a couple of 6 volt radios with bad synchronous vibrators. Is it practical to replace a synchronous 6 volt vibrator with a regular vibrator and diode rectifiers? Other than changing the socket would there be other problems? I have several good regular 4 pin vibrators, and good synchronous seem hard to come by.

Tom Ackerman
Back to top Go down
View user profile
burnt fingers

PostSubject: Re: Synchronous vibrator repacement   Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:28 am

Nope, thats a common swap. Most of the time I use a 4 pin SS vibrator unless the customer likes the classic vibrator sound. In my prewar Buicks I went with a real vibrator.

Carl
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dave McClellan

PostSubject: Re: Synchronous vibrator repacement   Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:22 pm

I do that all the time, since I collect 6 volt farm sets. I have a boat load of NOS/good 6/12 volt non-synchronous mobile radio vibrators (5 pin) that are otherwise useless. I open up the bad 6-pin synchronous unit and insert the guts of the good non-synchronous unit and tack the 1N4007's inside the vibrator case (negative ends to the vibrator pins, IIRC). That way, no changes to the radio are needed. I leave the buffer cap the same value (but replace it).

This works OK, but I have NOT done any long term testing or compared the hum/noise level. It is also not obvious if the buffer cap value should be changed in this case. I suppose the only way to tell would be to attach a scope and try various values.

This also works for the hard to find 7-pin SPLIT REED units used in the 6-volt Airline Movie Dial.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Synchronous vibrator repacement   

Back to top Go down

Synchronous vibrator repacement
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Antique Radios Forum :: Antique Radio Forums :: Electrical/Mechanical Restoration-
Jump to: