Antique Radios Forum

This is the temporary home of the Antique Radio Forums while a new server to host it is being found. You will have to register here to post. Please Note: None of these topics will be preserved when the original forums are back.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Help Pricing Scott All-Wave 15

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Brian McAllister

PostSubject: Help Pricing Scott All-Wave 15   Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:34 pm

A friend is conducting an Estate Sale next month. Included in the sale will be a Scott All-Wave 15. She has asked me for guidance in pricing it, and I need help.

The Cabinet is in generally good clean original condition, but the on-off switch has been re-positioned to an area below and off-center from the other controls. A hole has been made in the front of the cabinet to accommodate this change. One of the original knobs is missing.

Electrically nothing has been done since it was last turned on, about 50 years age. It is claimed to have played at that time. One of the 2A3 output tubes is missing, but may be recovered, since the son of the original owner says there is a box of tubes for the radio at his home, and he will check them out.

The chrome plating seems in decent condition, but could use a cleaning/polishing.

I would appreciate help from anyone who has recent knowledge of prices on this model.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://oldtech.net
y2kbruce

PostSubject: Re: Help Pricing Scott All-Wave 15   Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:23 pm

Brian McAllister wrote:
A friend is conducting an Estate Sale next month. Included in the sale will be a Scott All-Wave 15. She has asked me for guidance in pricing it, and I need help.

The Cabinet is in generally good clean original condition, but the on-off switch has been re-positioned to an area below and off-center from the other controls. A hole has been made in the front of the cabinet to accommodate this change. One of the original knobs is missing.

Electrically nothing has been done since it was last turned on, about 50 years age. It is claimed to have played at that time. One of the 2A3 output tubes is missing, but may be recovered, since the son of the original owner says there is a box of tubes for the radio at his home, and he will check them out.

The chrome plating seems in decent condition, but could use a cleaning/polishing.

I would appreciate help from anyone who has recent knowledge of prices on this model.

Hi Brian-Pricing is contingent on several factors on this radio:
- Chrome condition
- completeness of the set with the receiver, amp and speaker present and what their condition is
- what cabinet this has and it's condition

Photos would greatly help appraise your friend's set. The AW15 was a circa 1934 model and was offered in many cabinets, some of which were very valuable.

Nice to hear from you again since my move from Valrico 2 years ago.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OldWireBender

PostSubject: Re: Help Pricing Scott All-Wave 15   Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:29 pm

And whatever you do DO NOT TURN ON THIS RADIO! Resist the temptation to "just see if it still works". If your friend is having an agent conduct the estate sale, make sure they know not to turn the set on either. They may want to do this so they can say "It Works!" and thus ask more for it but, a damaged power transformer, output transformer, or speaker caused by turning the set on will definitely lower the value.

John
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brian McAllister

PostSubject: Re: Help Pricing Scott All-Wave 15   Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:13 am

My friend is the agent conducting the sale. I have already explained all that to her, and also told her to watch out that no-one tries to steal the tubes, especially the 2A3s, or the knobs.
Back to top Go down
y2kbruce

PostSubject: Re: Help Pricing Scott All-Wave 15   Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:29 pm

Brian McAllister wrote:
My friend is the agent conducting the sale. I have already explained all that to her, and also told her to watch out that no-one tries to steal the tubes, especially the 2A3s, or the knobs.
Since no one else has added value estimates yet, here's some guesses with out any photos to see.
These can usually be parted out on ebay for more than the whole thing can be sold for at an estate auction.

The speaker can bring $250 on ebay if nice
The chassis is maybe another $300 or more if nice chrome
Original knobs maybe $100 or more-there may be another original knob on the back of the main chassis also.
Amp is worth more with the original 2A3 (2) output tubes and usually has chrome not so good. Maybe $250 with tubes.
Cabinet depends on which one and its condition. If you can post a photo of the cabinet, I can identify which one and some ideas on its going rate.

If she had a $500 price on it, that would be a good value for a buyer BUT be aware that rust is bad and these tend to rust due to a bad undercoating or lack there of under the chrome.

Ebay will set world-wide value but has its risks and requires shipping and packing. If its a rare cabinet then who knows its value

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brian McAllister

PostSubject: Re: Help Pricing Scott All-Wave 15   Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:05 pm

Thanks Bruce,

I will try to get together with her in the next few days, so that I may take some pictures and post them here.

Do you miss being down here for the beautiful weather at this time of year?

Brian
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help Pricing Scott All-Wave 15   

Back to top Go down

Help Pricing Scott All-Wave 15
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1