Antique Radios Forum

This is the temporary home of the Antique Radio Forums while a new server to host it is being found. You will have to register here to post. Please Note: None of these topics will be preserved when the original forums are back.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Very poor performance from crappy 5 tube Motorola clock radio

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MikeBrown

PostSubject: Very poor performance from crappy 5 tube Motorola clock radio   Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:15 pm

I have a Motorola 52CW3 clock radio. The set has been recapped, with the exception of several caps that are located in a couplate.

The radio works, but very poorly. I can just barely hear two stations at max volume. The set has a ferrite rod antenna. Reception is slightly improved when I touch rod. I suspect I am a better antenna than the ferrite rod....

Tube lineup is 35W4, 12BE6, 12BD6, 12AT6, 50C5. (I do not have a 12BD6 and have used a 12BA6 as a sub).

I measure 106V on the plate of the 50C5 and 95V on the plate of the 12BE6.

Any ideas?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chas

Location : S. Dartmouth MA 02748-1225 ------------ Avatar: Uncle Tony's Shack

PostSubject: Re: Very poor performance from crappy 5 tube Motorola clock radio   Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:23 pm

Tune-up the rf front end and the IF. If it won't peak and track properly there is a component problem. Replace or discrete the couplate. Hand sensitivity is usually an out of resonance condition, unless the radio is in the cellar or a metal sided building.

I recently dumped three Motorola portables because of all the couplates and cordwood modules. Not that they did or didn't work, why bother going nuts over a a known problem that gets worse as time goes by Neutral
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Johnnysan

PostSubject: Re: Very poor performance from crappy 5 tube Motorola clock radio   Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:36 pm

That couplet is only 4 capacitors. As a test, remove the ground lead of the couplet and connect a .005uf cap from pin 7 of the 12AT6 to pin 5 of the 50C5. If audio improves or is normal, the couplet is bad. If you need the Sams I can email it to you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MikeBrown

PostSubject: Re: Very poor performance from crappy 5 tube Motorola clock radio   Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:12 pm

I disconnected the .002uF cap in the couplate and replaced it with a .002uF 620V film cap. The radio works really well now!

Is it worthwhile replacing the rest of the caps in the couplate? The schematic claims they are ceramic, should they not be pretty durable?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jack shirley

PostSubject: Re: Very poor performance from crappy 5 tube Motorola clock radio   Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:01 pm

The construction and internal connections of the couplate may be at fault even if the actual cap inside is good.

I don't often have to deal with them but I'm a pessimist when it comes to goofy radio manufacturing ideas that didn't last.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Very poor performance from crappy 5 tube Motorola clock radio   

Back to top Go down

Very poor performance from crappy 5 tube Motorola clock radio
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1