Antique Radios Forum

This is the temporary home of the Antique Radio Forums while a new server to host it is being found. You will have to register here to post. Please Note: None of these topics will be preserved when the original forums are back.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Favorite Shortwave

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Dave Doughty

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Shortwave   Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:31 pm

For casual listening to stations below 10 mHz and to certain stations in some of the international shortwave bands above 10 mHz, many people do enjoy their tube Transoceanics. I guess it depends on how serious someone is about digging out the DX stations among the powerful domestic leased-time broadcasters and listening to signals not covered by these sets. Except for the pre-war model, I have at least one example of each of the tube T/O's and agree that the 600 series is probably the best for ease of restoration and performance. But I have a feeling Robertex wants something with more bells and whistles, not to mention complete coverage of the HF spectrum.

Since he already has one, the S-38 would be a good place to start just to see what's out there. Because it is really nothing more than a typical AA-5 with extra bands, restoration should be quick and easy.

Dave

Last edited by Dave Doughty on Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
antiqradioman

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Shortwave   Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:06 pm

Here's an interesting reference for vintage Transmitters and Receivers.

http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~postr/bapix/index.htm

Dennis
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gearhead222

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Shortwave   Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:23 am

Almost forgot, but check out The S-38 guys website-one of the BEST out there, IMHO. Although I've restored over 70 various radios, what I like about the S-38 series is that they are so STRAIGHTFORWARD. Turn upside down, remove the cardboard bottom and everything's there! I have an S-38 B by my bed that's my evening daily driver. The ZTO's are great radios in their own right, but definitely not beginner's radios to restore. I paid to have my H500's restored when I first entered this hobby. When I had around 50 radios under my belt, I did completely restore an L600.
Anyway, good luck with your S-38 and here's the S-38 guys link:)-Gearhead

http://www.the-s38-guy.com/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jim Berg

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Shortwave   Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:14 am

Favorite is my G-500 Trans-Oceanic. I like its look, and have had it for over 35 years. Drawbacks: Does not cover 22 meter band, also with the expanded bands it does not cover all of each band. The 600 series has continuous covererage fom about 4 to 8 mc. The boatanchor I like is the Hammerlund HQ-140X. Good shape and bought it from a newspaper ad for $25. Later found the correct speaker for $20. Lucky once in a while! The S-38 is basically entry level, and I just could not sit and listen to it for extended periods of time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tony Wells

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Shortwave   Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:58 pm

Another S-38 restoration page/site:

http://amlogbook.com/S38/page2.htm
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Shortwave   

Back to top Go down

Favorite Shortwave