Antique Radios Forum

This is the temporary home of the Antique Radio Forums while a new server to host it is being found. You will have to register here to post. Please Note: None of these topics will be preserved when the original forums are back.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Zenith A730 rectifier replaced and installed diode wrong (oops)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bill n

PostSubject: Zenith A730 rectifier replaced and installed diode wrong (oops)   Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:25 pm

Not sure what damage I've done here.
The 22 ohm 5 w resistor was replaced at this time with a 100 ohm 6.5w resistor.The electrolytics were also replaced. I disconnected power when resistor started heating up. I checked the resistor, it's good and the lytic's test good with a R.S. cap tester. Radio just hums with diode hooked up right. Do I need to replace these caps again and and what else might have been damaged?
Bill
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Johnnysan

PostSubject: Re: Zenith A730 rectifier replaced and installed diode wrong (oops)   Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:36 pm

It may have damaged the electrolytics.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chas

Location : S. Dartmouth MA 02748-1225 ------------ Avatar: Uncle Tony's Shack

PostSubject: Re: Zenith A730 rectifier replaced and installed diode wrong (oops)   Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:54 pm

Replace the diode too, because of the high current stress and any other electrolytics in the B+ string.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
smeezekitty

PostSubject: Re: Zenith A730 rectifier replaced and installed diode wrong (oops)   Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:29 am

Test the electrolytics and diode with an ohm meter.
The diode should not conduct both ways.
Also the electrolytics should be in the kilo-ohms after a few minits of having it on the ohm meter.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Reece

PostSubject: Re: Zenith A730 rectifier replaced and installed diode wrong (oops)   Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:22 am

Remember the painted band (cathode) on the diode "gives" the B+ to the radio, goes "towards the radio" not the line.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bill n

PostSubject: Re: Zenith A730 rectifier replaced and installed diode wrong (oops)   Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:22 am

Thanks for your help.
I am going to replace the caps and diode. I had read an earlier post on the forum that described the proper direction for the diode but got it wrong.
Bill
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Randy Bassham

PostSubject: Re: Zenith A730 rectifier replaced and installed diode wrong (oops)   Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:04 pm

Back in the 1970's I was replacing all 4 diodes in the bridge rectifier circuit on a Magnavox Tube type color TV that had taken a lightning strike. One of the 1N4007's I put in had the stripe painted on the wrong end. It tripped the breaker instantly, I must have checked them with the Simpson 260 at least 4 times before I realized one was checking backwards to the other 3.... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dberman51

PostSubject: Re: Zenith A730 rectifier replaced and installed diode wrong (oops)   Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:28 pm

It probably didn't help that IIRC the Simpson 260 tests them "backwards."

-David
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Zenith A730 rectifier replaced and installed diode wrong (oops)   

Back to top Go down

Zenith A730 rectifier replaced and installed diode wrong (oops)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1