Antique Radios Forum

This is the temporary home of the Antique Radio Forums while a new server to host it is being found. You will have to register here to post. Please Note: None of these topics will be preserved when the original forums are back.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Philco 76 Dial Restring

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
focalpoint

PostSubject: Philco 76 Dial Restring   Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:57 pm

The braided metal cable that connects the tuning knob to the tuning linkage seems to have come off its winding in the back.

Do I have to dismantle the entire tuning cap assembly to get it restrung properly?

Any advice or pointers are appreciated.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George

PostSubject: Re: Philco 76 Dial Restring   Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:27 am

It is difficult to give you any hints without seeing the setup. Suggest, you examine the braided steel cable for breaks and any other damage and use a replacement. You can find good quality cable at a beads supply store where they carry this type of cable for making bead necklaces etc.
Also, it would be a good idea to give a hint of your location, since there could possibly be someone in your area who could help you with your problem.

George

Back to top Go down
View user profile
focalpoint

PostSubject: Re: Philco 76 Dial Restring   Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:01 pm

The cord itself is intact. It is connected to the dial rotator shaft, which has counter-threaded pulleys to wrap the cord around before going up to the dial face and then to springs inside.

The back end:

had come disconnected. I was able to reattach it by removing the rotor from the tuning gang - but I don't know where the remaining pieces go, how many turns each direction, that sort of thing.

The bottom piece, the other end goes into the tuning dial assembly.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
focalpoint

PostSubject: Re: Philco 76 Dial Restring   Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:23 am

I should also mention, I did check my scans of Riders 2; there's a lot of other material about the radio and its closest relatives but nothing about how the dial cord linkage works.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
glasdave

PostSubject: Re: Philco 76 Dial Restring   Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:19 am

Don't wipe the gears off.

Wind the wire around the spools on the clean spots. This should get you close to where you meed to start.

Maybe use some tape to hold them in place, and look at what you have then.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dynadude

PostSubject: Re: Philco 76 Dial Restring   Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:11 am

I have the same radio, and from looking at mine it appears that you will need to remove one end of the cable from the forward pulleys.

Wind the rear cable back onto the pulleys while replacing the tuning gang, then hand wind the forward cable and replace it from the point where it was removed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
focalpoint

PostSubject: Re: Philco 76 Dial Restring   Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:44 am

dynadude wrote:
I have the same radio, and from looking at mine it appears that you will need to remove one end of the cable from the forward pulleys.

Wind the rear cable back onto the pulleys while replacing the tuning gang, then hand wind the forward cable and replace it from the point where it was removed.

Sounds like I will try this next time I get to working on it - tonight or tomorrow, probably.

Any idea where the rear cable attaches inside - does its spring clip to the same point as the front one's? It was off at both ends. (I found a child's crayon stuffed in there, probably explains it.)

galsdave wrote:
Don't wipe the gears off.

Wind the wire around the spools on the clean spots. This should get you close to where you meed to start.

Maybe use some tape to hold them in place, and look at what you have then.

The one in back is naturally clean it seems but the front one has a visible wrapping mark, I a good start.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
focalpoint

PostSubject: Re: Philco 76 Dial Restring   Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:13 pm

So, it turns out the tray the brass central pulley rests on unscrews (3 screws in the back, below the shield support) and slides out all at once. I suppose this would allow you to remove the rotor and tuning dial assembly intact, assuming they were intact.

I took the pulley off both ends and wound it around the end, looped up through and hooked to the appropriate hole. Repeating the same in the opposite direction for the front wire, I was never able to get the tension right. It would actuate slightly, then even less slightly in the other direction, then not move at all - the coiled up wire was coming undone.

Do the tensioning springs inside wear out, could that be the problem?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Philco 76 Dial Restring   

Back to top Go down

Philco 76 Dial Restring
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1