Antique Radios Forum

This is the temporary home of the Antique Radio Forums while a new server to host it is being found. You will have to register here to post. Please Note: None of these topics will be preserved when the original forums are back.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Sams Photofacts - skipped numbers curiosity

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dennis Wess

PostSubject: Sams Photofacts - skipped numbers curiosity   Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:27 am

Non-existent Sams Folders......

I have noticed that in some of the early Sams sets there are folders that are missing from publication. For example......Set 6 has 6 folders out of 40 that were never published. In that particular set folders 3, 10, 12, 21, 26 and 30 are missing and were were never printed. An "unopened - stapled for delivery" package of set 6 confirms this.....not to mention other research I have done to try and satisfy my curiosity.

There is a smattering of sets with unpublished folders..set 6 is but one example. I cannot find any mention about "missing folders" or "skipped folder numbers" in any of the Sams literature I have.

Anyone know how or why this happened ?.........maybe a manufacturer occasionally submitted a radio to Sams for documentation then decided ultimately to not produce it ?

You have to wonder if there are any collectors of such documentation who have spent decades searching for those mystery folders....... scratch

Dennis
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Johnnysan

PostSubject: Re: Sams Photofacts - skipped numbers curiosity   Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:43 pm

I believe that Sams had a schedule of sets that were to be included with each folder, and some didn't make it because the information was not ready at press time. They were included in later folders. If the number is passed over, there is nothing missing from the folder. If a number has a make and model number, but there is nothing in your folder, someone took it out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tom Albrecht

PostSubject: Re: Sams Photofacts - skipped numbers curiosity   Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:22 pm

Although this doesn't explain the missing folders in set 6 (which didn't include any TVs), for many of the later sets, there was an option to buy "Radio Photofact Series" vs. "Photofact Series." If you bought the "Radio Photofact Series," no TVs were included, and the folders for TVs simply didn't appear in the table of contents. The folder number was skipped.

I wonder if the "Radio Photofact Series" also left out some other things, like phonographs, tape recorders, and the like? That could explain missing folders besides TVs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alan Douglas

PostSubject: Re: Sams Photofacts - skipped numbers curiosity   Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:26 am

My set, which includes TVs, phonos and other stuff, is also missing those numbers from folder 6.

I think Johnnysan is right. The folders came out monthly, and had to, if they expected service shops to keep subscribing. If some material wasn't ready, it would just be held for later.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sams Photofacts - skipped numbers curiosity   

Back to top Go down

Sams Photofacts - skipped numbers curiosity
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1