Antique Radios Forum

This is the temporary home of the Antique Radio Forums while a new server to host it is being found. You will have to register here to post. Please Note: None of these topics will be preserved when the original forums are back.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

how a rca 45j2 works?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
joe v

PostSubject: how a rca 45j2 works?   Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:30 am

I'm not a techy but I'd like to bring back to life an old rca model 45j2. It runs fine dropping records & the control arm moves properly but I get no sound when I plug it into my receiver. What puzzles me is when looking at the wiring to the cartridge that no electricity goes to it. Does the needle/cartridge somehow make it's own electricity & then sends it back thru the wiring to the receiver so sound gets to the speakers?? I got a new p-51-1 cartridge & it was so light the control arm wouldn't even set down down the record plus still no sound. I believe I read on this site before it went down that a P-190 was needed; I found out that has 4 prongs but my old needle only has 2 so if that's the needle I need how do I wire it?? I'd obviously appreciate hearing from anyone who has experience with this record player.

Thanks
Joe V
856-589-2895
joevalinsky@verizon.net
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Johnnysan

PostSubject: Re: how a rca 45j2 works?   Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:19 pm

The cartridge produces a signal. When you say you plugged it into your radio, did you plug it into a phono input jack?
You should not replace a cartridge with a different type; was the old one bad?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dberman51

PostSubject: Re: how a rca 45j2 works?   Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:15 pm

The old cartridges are crystal type which deteriorate due to heat and humidity and are almost always bad by now. A lot of people are using the P-190, which can be gotten in an inexpensive kit from V-M Audio Enthusiasts (http://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/).

The kit includes small pigtail leads to strap the four cartridge terminals to two. Right-Hot and Left-Hot go to Hot, Right-Ground and Left-Ground go to Ground. This allows both stereo and mono records to be reproduced correctly in mono, and suppresses surface noise and rumble.

You may need to adjust for the different mass of the cartridge by either adding weights to the arm or fiddling with the counterbalance spring (if present) at the back of the arm.

-David
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: how a rca 45j2 works?   

Back to top Go down

how a rca 45j2 works?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1