Antique Radios Forum

This is the temporary home of the Antique Radio Forums while a new server to host it is being found. You will have to register here to post. Please Note: None of these topics will be preserved when the original forums are back.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

CRT tester Sencore

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jaymansford

PostSubject: CRT tester Sencore   Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:16 pm

I have a good Sencore CR70, can I use this to test radio tubes?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrankB

PostSubject: Re: CRT tester Sencore   Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:27 pm

The CR 70 will only test picture and scope tubes.
Frank
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jaymansford

PostSubject: Tester   Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:37 pm

I wasnt sure if it could be adapted to test other tubes. It comes with clip leads for any pin configuration. Now speaking of this machine, I noticed that very few people ever use the rejuvination feature on crt's, so if that the case, why is such a machine like the cr70 used for checking crts? Wouldnt a $20 machine that checks for emissions and a filament give you a great indication of the tube condition. Better yet, eyes and a multi-meter but checking the getter color and filament continuity.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mal Fuller

PostSubject: Re: CRT tester Sencore   Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:52 pm

Speaking for myself, back when the Sencore CR70 was new to the market, I was optimistic about its rejuvenation feature and that is why I bought it. Experience taught me that the thing was only useful as a CRT tester.
The Sencore's test for a color CRT's black & white tracking capabilities was also a useful test.
Later I bought a Beltron, which was indeed a useful CRT restorer. I still have both instruments.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Johnnysan

PostSubject: Re: CRT tester Sencore   Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:35 pm

I disagree.

I have used a CR70 for many years and it is most useful for rejuvenating CRTs. You must understand that rejuvenation is done on tubes that are on their last leg. Most of the time (in my experience) you could get another year or more of useful life out of the tube. The process is not meant to make a used tube new again. When a 58 year old woman gets a face lift, does she become a 20 year old girl again? I think not.
Used properly, rejuvenation is a good way to get an extra 10 or 12% extended life from a CRT.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mal Fuller

PostSubject: Re: CRT tester Sencore   Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:03 pm

Thanks for the lecture, but I found the rejuvenation feature on my Sencore to be useless.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
radiotechnician

PostSubject: Re: CRT tester Sencore   Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:53 am

The CR-70 uses DC on the filaments. How will this affect the testing of battery tubes?
Within the lid a small chassis of of tube bases could be stored which could plug into the 16 pin connector at the end of the crt cord.
The patented circuit for storing emission values and indicating color balance might be used
to check matched pairs of tubes with a socket switch.
One thing is obvious, few crt's need to be tested so CR-70s should be available.

de
VE7ASO
Back to top Go down
View user profile
philsoldradios

PostSubject: Re: CRT tester Sencore   Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:40 pm

I have a CR70 and use it regularly in restoring vintage TVs (for testing, not rejuvenation). They are available, but not necessarily cheap. One reason to like this model is that it handles tubes such as 7JP4 and 15GP22, which many testers do not.

If you need to test radio & audio tubes, I'd sell the CR70 and buy an ordinary (non-CRT) tester. Simple emission type testers are usually inexpensive and may suffice if you're a casual restorer. Fancier testers, including some Hickocks, can do more and will cost more.

Adapting or hotwiring a CR70 to test radio & audio tubes might be an interesting science project, if you enjoy that sort of thing, but it seems like a waste of time in practical terms.

Just my $0.02.

Phil Nelson
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://antiqueradio.org/index.html
jaymansford

PostSubject: Tester   Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:17 pm

If I sold my CR70 I would have to come up with alot more $$ to get an equivilant quality hickock tester. I test 7JP4's with $20 machines like the eico and national union and they work just fine. If those are the only tubes being tested the cr70 is a waste of money. I guess I will just stick with my cheap knight and eico radio tube testers. Good point about the DC filaments, I forgot about that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CRT tester Sencore   

Back to top Go down

CRT tester Sencore
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1