Antique Radios Forum

This is the temporary home of the Antique Radio Forums while a new server to host it is being found. You will have to register here to post. Please Note: None of these topics will be preserved when the original forums are back.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

saving rubber

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mike W.

PostSubject: saving rubber   Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:37 pm

I'm curious of there's such a thing/way to prolong the life of rubber. In this case it's a phono idler wheel. What got me curious is this phono has been sitting a very long time, judging by the "outgassing" ring on the bottom of the platter from the idler wheel. The wheel is still pliable and "rubbery". Is there any solutions/soaks/rubs/magic spells to prolong the inevitable?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mike C.

PostSubject: Re: saving rubber   Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:55 pm

From what I understand,there are some chemicals available that will"rejuvinate" old rubber,but as a preservative,I don't know.The fact that you say that the idler is still pliable is a very good sign as they usually just dry-up and crumble as they mature.

I have an old Wollensak reel to reel that I overhauled a while back.The idlers were in fairly good shape but were dented from sitting again' the capstan and flywheel for so many years.I pulled them out, chucked them up in a drill press,and using a coarse sharpening stone,ground them back into a perfectly circular shape.This procedure cuts away the first layer of aged rubber and leaves them quite smooth.

Come to think of it,I have heard that motorcycle restorers will soak dried-up rubber parts in hydraulic brake fluid to restore the suppleness to the part,ie.,carburretor intakes.I have repeated this information here several times but haven't tried it yet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
richfair

PostSubject: Re: saving rubber   Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:06 pm

Craig labs, the people who make Deoxit, make CaiKleen RBR:
http://store.caig.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.179/.f
I have used this stuff for the past 20 years on tape recorder idler wheels and pinch rollers. Pinch rollers on reel tape decks, including the little rubber rollers on cassette, DAT, and video machines, get very hard after many years of use. I started using this stuff on my audio and video decks, a pro facility, and have had very good results. It does not bring stiff rubber back to life but it certainly has kept the rollers clean and pliable. I've got video decks with very heavy use and the pinch rollers are still in great shape. It is a cleaner with some sort of added compounds, it is not "sticky".

I doubt it would do anything for our crumbling rubber wires.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
47'Plymouth864

PostSubject: Re: saving rubber   Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:15 pm

Hey Guy;
try DOT #5 silicon Brake fluid! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tube Radio

PostSubject: Re: saving rubber   Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:46 pm

You need this stuff http://www.reelprosoundguys.com/RestoreKit.html I have used it and it works nicely so long as the rubber is not cracked.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
richfair

PostSubject: Re: saving rubber   Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:05 pm

Personally, I won't mess with success. The stuff I linked to works very well for me doing exactly what the original poster asked! Just one "Guy"'s opinion. :)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mike W.

PostSubject: Re: saving rubber   Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:32 am

Much appreciated replies folks. Figured this question had to get asked sooner or later. I like all antique radios/electronics, but I have some stuff that isn't quite old enough to have cracked cords/rock solid idler wheels yet, or they've just been lucky. Would like to keep using original equipment as long as possible, and some of those old cords with the logos/lightning bolts on the plug are part of the coolness.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rich, W3HWJ

PostSubject: Re: saving rubber   Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:20 am

I tried to rejuvenate old rubber grommets by soaking in WD-40. Stayed hard as corn kernels. I tossed them out.

Rich
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gary rabbitt

PostSubject: Re: saving rubber   Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:27 pm

My dad always used Castor oil on rubber that had not dried out already. Mainly this would be on automotive weatherstripping.
He said the idea was to seal out moisture. It really works to keep rubber nice and supple.

I don't know if I would put it on the edge of a rubber tire on your phono idler, but perhaps on each side up to that point will help.

Rubber that had already dried out. I doubt you can treat it with anything that would replenish outgassed or dried out chemicals in the rubber. You would have to get your rejuvenator into all the rubber on a molecular level. Not just on the surface.

Some 'revuvenators' will soften the thin surface layer, and you may get a little more life out of the idler until that soft rubber wears away again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: saving rubber   

Back to top Go down

saving rubber
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1