Antique Radios Forum

This is the temporary home of the Antique Radio Forums while a new server to host it is being found. You will have to register here to post. Please Note: None of these topics will be preserved when the original forums are back.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Silvertone 2268 phono

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mike W.

PostSubject: Silvertone 2268 phono   Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:09 pm

Ok, I'm just going to make this a long run post to cover the whole process of getting this thing going.

Got it in the mail today! Inside was a disappointment from the start. 1 cracked 7695 tube, and the cardboard can capacitor had snapped off its mounting. Under the chassis revealed a 33 ohm 2 watt resistor (soldered between two positive leads of 150uf@150v multisection cap) snapped right in half. The multisection cap now has all its leads snipped and labeled, waiting for the individual electrolytics from mouser.

What happened to that 33ohm 2 watt resistor between the two 150uF positives?

Someone plugged it in after sitting too long?

Also, some capacitor confusion..... underneath the chassis there are 2 capacitors that look like large versions of the new 630v orange dips (darker though), and one tubular. The tubular is listed as a tubular, one of the orange dip film looking caps is listed as a ceramic disc, and the other orange dip looking one is listed as tubular?!
These are all original.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mike W.

PostSubject: Re: Silvertone 2268 phono   Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:56 pm

Started on the record changer today. Motor and changer works are lubed and work as they should. There was trouble with all aspects of the works, but some pocket pen oil "woke up" the sludge. I had to do some adjustments to the tonearm height, and swing (left or right).
The thing is, I feel these adjustments are compensating for some slack (damage) of the up and down motion pivot. It's loose and looks to be no adjustment. Appears to be a watch pin (sorta) pressed into the rear of the tonearm metal.
Does anyone here have experience in silvertone changers, and if so is there any adjustment for this, or is it damaged/worn out?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dynadude

PostSubject: Re: Silvertone 2268 phono   Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:26 pm

I have no direct experience with that changer, but I've had to repair loose mechanisms on lots of different equipment over the years.

Sometimes you need to shim loose fits, or replace a press pin with a larger one to compensate for wear. Sometimes a wobbled out hole will need to be fitted with a slip bearing of sorts. It's a case by case kind of thing. Determine what is causing the issue, then work out the best solution.

Most times you can make things work better than they did originally.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mike W.

PostSubject: Re: Silvertone 2268 phono   Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:30 pm

Yeah, theres a BIG hunk of lead hanging off the left rear of the tonearm, and thats the pivot side thats loose. Looking down at the tonearm, it appears the left side of the cartridge is slightly lower than the right because of the pivot slack, and pulling up on the tonearm at the pivot levels it out.
Anyone with a Sams for the changer of a 2268/2268A?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Silvertone 2268 phono   

Back to top Go down

Silvertone 2268 phono
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Antique Radios Forum :: Antique Radio Forums :: Electrical/Mechanical Restoration-
Jump to: