Antique Radios Forum

This is the temporary home of the Antique Radio Forums while a new server to host it is being found. You will have to register here to post. Please Note: None of these topics will be preserved when the original forums are back.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

is this and early atwater kent desk radio?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jerry huelsbeck

PostSubject: is this and early atwater kent desk radio?   Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:12 pm

Well here is my big find for the summer... driving home one day, it was sitting on the curb with a "free" sign on it. Not alot of thought had to go into this one....of course I took it. Not sure what it is though.... it has a really nice Atwater Kent speaker in it. The only label I can find is a Red Lion "radio cabinet" decal. Is it a breadboard cabinet???? ANY help or thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated. THANKS.... jerry.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
johnS.

PostSubject: Re: is this and early atwater kent desk radio?   Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:52 pm

I would say "yes"...only because Red Lion supplied radio cabinets for Atwater Kent. Red Lion, PA is not too far from where I live, and that is where these were made. Perhaps Dale Davenport (another member here on the ARF) could supply more details on your particular cabinet, and what radio would have gone inside it. Probably not a breadboard radio, because they were earlier models.

Nice desk/radio cabinet, by the way. Sure can't beat the price, and I'm glad you saved it! It's a pretty useful thing...pay the bills, and listen to the radio at the same time!

-John S.

Last edited by johnS. on Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldradioparts

PostSubject: Re: is this and early atwater kent desk radio?   Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:58 pm

Looks like the right size for a Model 20 C (Compact) or model 30. AK

Mark Oppat
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JG Jackson

PostSubject: Re: is this and early atwater kent desk radio?   Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:19 am

Agree with Mark - doubt it was for a bread board.....
Some simple measurements of the radio compartment might narrow the list of suspects....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jerry huelsbeck

PostSubject: Re: is this and early atwater kent desk radio?   Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:09 pm

Sorry, should have posted the dimensions earlier... the radio area is 17 1/4" long, 7 1/2" deep and 5 1/2" high... Does anyone have a AK model 20C they could measure? It looks like the radio would have just slid in, no permanent mounting screws/holes etc.
Thanks,
jerry.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
atwaterkentsrus

PostSubject: Re: is this and early atwater kent desk radio?   Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:41 pm

Laughing And the answer is..................AK Model 35.

Jimmy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jimmysheryl.com/edington_radio/
jerry huelsbeck

PostSubject: Re: is this and early atwater kent desk radio?   Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:56 pm

Great, Thanks for the info Jimmy, I'll have to check the model 35 out.

Thanks all for your help,
jerry.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: is this and early atwater kent desk radio?   

Back to top Go down

is this and early atwater kent desk radio?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1