Antique Radios Forum

This is the temporary home of the Antique Radio Forums while a new server to host it is being found. You will have to register here to post. Please Note: None of these topics will be preserved when the original forums are back.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Polarized vs. non-polarized caps...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Aaron

PostSubject: Re: Polarized vs. non-polarized caps...   Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:33 pm

Lou deGonzague wrote:
There is no doubt that a mylar film cap will outlast any electrolytic under normal conditions used in a radio. I have nos electrolytics from the 30's and they are all bad. Also electrolytics do explode sometimes when they go bad. Using a mylar in place of a small electrolytic is a good idea especially in the old AK's and others that used 1 or 2 mfd in their powerpacks.

Since I'm the one who started this discussion, I thought I'd report back. I used a 2.2 uF mylar cap in place of a 2 uF electrolytic in an early '50s RCA am/fm set that I'm working on for a friend. It worked just fine. Smile

I like using a mylar cap in place of a small-value e-cap because it's hard to find 1 and 2 uF e-caps with axial leads.

Aaron
Back to top Go down
View user profile
smeezekitty

PostSubject: Re: Polarized vs. non-polarized caps...   Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:26 pm

Everything 5uf or under I use polyfilm.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mike W.

PostSubject: Re: Polarized vs. non-polarized caps...   Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:57 pm

So, polarization aside... I' d thought that if it's an E-cap, then it's an E-cap for a reason. Like E-caps have a certain amount of leakage that is called for in a circuit where a paper/film cap does not. So it's safe to say I thought wrong, and if the voltage/capacitance is the same, a film cap CAN replace an E-cap? And for that matter any capacitor can replace any capacitor, film/disc/electrolytic/whatever? Cost and size aside, capacitance/voltage is capacitance/voltage regardless?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
smeezekitty

PostSubject: Re: Polarized vs. non-polarized caps...   Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:02 pm

Mike W. wrote:
So, polarization aside... I' d thought that if it's an E-cap, then it's an E-cap for a reason. Like E-caps have a certain amount of leakage that is called for in a circuit where a paper/film cap does not. So it's safe to say I thought wrong, and if the voltage/capacitance is the same, a film cap CAN replace an E-cap? And for that matter any capacitor can replace any capacitor, film/disc/electrolytic/whatever? Cost and size aside, capacitance/voltage is capacitance/voltage regardless?
Electrolytics should not be used in place of an electrostatic type.
Higher leakage current, polarization and higher esr.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jack shirley

PostSubject: Re: Polarized vs. non-polarized caps...   Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:24 pm

Mike W. wrote:

Your final statements are basically true. You're not going to find a .001 mica ceramic disc paper electrolytic so the field thins out rapidly. )P

There's no inherent "leakage" or the like figured into an electrolytic cap.

Well, since threads like this often go into obscure detailla to make a point...some of the old 30s radios counted on the PS filter cap for B+ bypassing at audio frequencies. This wasn't always effective. RCA often added a smaller cap of 0.1 or 0.25 across the large electrolytic for better bypassing at frequencies higher than the typical 60/120 cycles from the power supply. Philco came up with those coil-around-a-cap to divert similar issues of poor bypassing.

The electronic theory is valid in all such cases but the application varies greatly. That's not "in the book".

Back to your question, though. There's no 'magic' associated with electrolytic capacitors. They are just cheaper/smaller/less expensive to produce.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
pixellany

PostSubject: Re: Polarized vs. non-polarized caps...   Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:10 pm

"A capacitor is a capacitor"

One of the reasons this in not true is that the equivalent circuit varies widely depending on the physical size and shape, the choice of dielectric, etc. Some capacitors have a relatively high ESR (equivalent series resistance), and ALL capacitors start looking more like inductors when the frequency is high enough (this depends primarily on the size and shape.)

The actual usage in a circuit defines how much you need to be worried about these "features".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
radiorich

PostSubject: Re: Polarized vs. non-polarized caps...   Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:32 pm

Hello guys,
I have to agree with Carl on this on .

Rich
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Polarized vs. non-polarized caps...   

Back to top Go down

Polarized vs. non-polarized caps...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2