Antique Radios Forum

This is the temporary home of the Antique Radio Forums while a new server to host it is being found. You will have to register here to post. Please Note: None of these topics will be preserved when the original forums are back.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Cement the glass envelope of a octal tube to his socket

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
edo61it

PostSubject: Cement the glass envelope of a octal tube to his socket   Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:46 am

Hi.
I have an OD3/VR150 that work just fine, but with the key of the octal socket broken, and so I would want to replace him whit a new socket.

Anyone know which glue was used in the past for cement the glass envelope of a tube to his socket ?

Any suggestion would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

Edo
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JG Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Cement the glass envelope of a octal tube to his socket   Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:08 pm

Rather than replacing the entire base - it may be easier to cut a base off a dud tube, grind it down flat and fit it over the broken one....

Back to top Go down
View user profile
MikeBrown

PostSubject: Re: Cement the glass envelope of a octal tube to his socket   Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:39 pm

AES used to sell thingies to do exactly that. Although I recall the cost was a bit prohibitive. You would really want to have to save that tube!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chas

Location : S. Dartmouth MA 02748-1225 ------------ Avatar: Uncle Tony's Shack

PostSubject: Re: Cement the glass envelope of a octal tube to his socket   Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:36 pm

Quote :
Rather than replacing the entire base - it may be easier to cut a base off a dud tube, grind it down flat and fit it over the broken one....

What a brilliant idea!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
glasdave

PostSubject: Re: Cement the glass envelope of a octal tube to his socket   Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:41 pm

I like it...!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
edo61it

PostSubject: Re: Cement the glass envelope of a octal tube to his socket   Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:17 am

JG Jackson wrote:

This damage of the socket is identical to mine ...

Wooow .... this is an amazing idea ..... really.

MikeBrown wrote:
AES used to sell thingies ....

Yes Mike, I found it, package of 4 for 10$ plus shipping Shocked

I thought, rather than to epoxy glue, to high temperature red silicone sealant for cement the glass envelope to new socket.

It could be a good idea ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Johnnysan

PostSubject: Re: Cement the glass envelope of a octal tube to his socket   Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:26 am

I think the shipping to Italy might be a killer. If you can get it, I recommend JBWeld (if you still have the key to the tube). If you don't have the key, I would suggest you break one off a dud tube.
PS, let JBWeld sit for one day while curing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
marcc

PostSubject: Re: Cement the glass envelope of a octal tube to his socket   Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:16 am

I have used two part high strength epoxy resin, glass to base, on 5Y3's. One is still holding after 30 years.

The voltage regulator will not get that hot and there is not much stress on the spigot if its lifted carefully. It is best to prise the tube up from its base (screwdriver / puller) if its stuborn rather than pull on the glass.

Marc
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JG Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Cement the glass envelope of a octal tube to his socket   Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:28 am

MikeBrown wrote:
AES used to sell thingies to do exactly that. Although I recall the cost was a bit prohibitive.......
Exactly - and I'm a cheapskate in need with a sack of dud tubes at my disposal.... albino

Edo61it.... there's been quite a bit of debate about gluing bases on this forum. With certain tubes that get very hot during use - there's the possibility (however remote) that physical characteristics (heat expansion) of the glue and the glass may differ enough to cause the glass to crack and ruin the tube - also, many glues simply will not hold up at the operating temperatures some tubes reach. The original cement was apparently formulated to alleviate this. Experiment with different adhesives - keeping in mind the operating temperature of the tube. Some have recommend furnace cement as a substitute.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cement the glass envelope of a octal tube to his socket   

Back to top Go down

Cement the glass envelope of a octal tube to his socket
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1