Antique Radios Forum

This is the temporary home of the Antique Radio Forums while a new server to host it is being found. You will have to register here to post. Please Note: None of these topics will be preserved when the original forums are back.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Philco Tropic grillcloth

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
JG Jackson

PostSubject: Philco Tropic grillcloth   Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:57 am

Shouldn't have tried to wash it!!!! It was tattered, dirty and smelled of cigarettes - now it's shrunk too.... Crying or Very sad . Does anybody have a spare scrap to sell??? It appears to be close to Radio Daze pattern # 69 (which they no longer carry... Sad ...).... Looks like this (not mine)...

Will need to be around 12" wide and about 16" long..... What a Face

Thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dave Doughty

PostSubject: Re: Philco Tropic grillcloth   Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:10 pm

Hmmm...it looks like they used a different cloth in my 42-788. I used some carpet cleaner on mine which made a big improvement but still looks pretty bad. I found a pretty good match (which I haven't installed yet) at www.grillecloth.com with their pattern 50.

I wonder if their pattern 27 (Philco) is a better match for your '41 model?

Dave
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JG Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Philco Tropic grillcloth   Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:32 pm

That's a good suggestion Dave... I might have to settle for something like that. Notice that in most all the pictures you see of these models - the grill cloth is always drooping at top center... likely because there are screws only at the top corners of the grill cloth frame (whereas the bottom has 3 screws - with one being in the middle....).

Ron Ramirez says there are a few consoles that used the same cloth I'm looking for.... but - in my experience - a junker usually has truly junky grill cloth....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dave Doughty

PostSubject: Re: Philco Tropic grillcloth   Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:58 pm

When I got my Tropic there was a big, round stain right in the middle where the actual speaker cone is. I imagine that thoughout the years the vibrating cone breathed in and exhaled tons of 2nd hand cigarette smoke wherever my set had resided. The cloth was originally stretched then glued over the speaker mounting board. This is something I intend to do with the replacement. It's one of those 'round-to-it' things. BTW - this is one of my favorite sets and I would love to know it's ownership history.

Dave
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Philco Tropic grillcloth   

Back to top Go down

Philco Tropic grillcloth
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1