Antique Radios Forum

This is the temporary home of the Antique Radio Forums while a new server to host it is being found. You will have to register here to post. Please Note: None of these topics will be preserved when the original forums are back.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Repairing great numbers of the same radio

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
radiotechnician

PostSubject: Repairing great numbers of the same radio   Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:05 pm

Back in the 50' and early 60's importers were bring in lots of Japanese radios
that were sold at low prices. Radio shops made a fair amount of money repairing these
at fixed rates, a dollar or two per set, parts provided by clients. This was possible because they would collect the returned defective sets and bring them in lots of 25 or more.

Here are some I worked on. Victor 6 transistor $1.75 ( sold retail for about $20.
4 tube miniature battery, lR5 etc, $1.00 Retail $12.95
2 transistor superregen $1.00, sold for $9.95
8 transistor 3 gang, 4 C cell, $1.00 retail $22. (was the poor mans copy of Sony TR84)
also:
4 transistor, 3 " rim drive tape recorder, $1.00 retail $20.

On a slow shop day, you could spend a morning on these.

You always were ahead of the game because the "parts kit spares" (sent with the shipment of radios from Japan)

Who else did this back then?

de
VE7ASO
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bob

PostSubject: Re: Repairing great numbers of the same radio   Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:38 pm

Yes I remember those days. I also remember one customer that sued me because I could not fix his Dual turntable within his time window. We ordered the part the day he dropped it off to us so the court basically laughed at him. All that for $1.50. We must have repaired hundreds of that red Honeytone 6 transistor piece. As I remember we got $2.00 per unit. Bad as it sounds coke or Pepsi was a nickel then.

PS. I'm Bruce.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FrankB

PostSubject: Re: Repairing great numbers of the same radio   Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:27 pm

I remember seeing an ad from one shop that "Would repair any 5 tube radio for $2.00, all parts included."
Nowdays you are hard pressed to find a junker for $ 2.00.

FrankB
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldradioparts

PostSubject: Re: Repairing great numbers of the same radio   Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:15 pm

Way back when AC power came into new areas, the power companies set up shops of repairmen to convert battery or farm radios to AC power. Same for urban areas that had 110DC. These repair/conversion masters had to look at the old circuit and quickly design a cheap and easy conversion ! I was born in 1956 so I only know about this thru reading old service books and magazines talking about it.

Mark Oppat
www.oldradioparts.net
Back to top Go down
View user profile
classicaudiorepair

PostSubject: Re: Repairing great numbers of the same radio   Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:54 pm

Ah, Mark, nice to see you here!

When I began repairing audio/radio gear in the early 1970's, a basic radio repair was about $35. Still a great number of tube radios around at that time, often a lot better sounding than their solid-state kid brothers.

I get in more tube radios now than I did in 1994 when I opened this store. Telefunken, Zenith, Saba, Grundig. Interesting how the European radios have outlasted many of their American counterparts. I get in quite a few full-size consoles, and Magnavox consistently seems the most restorable brand.

Fred
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.repairaudio.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Repairing great numbers of the same radio   

Back to top Go down

Repairing great numbers of the same radio
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1