Antique Radios Forum

This is the temporary home of the Antique Radio Forums while a new server to host it is being found. You will have to register here to post. Please Note: None of these topics will be preserved when the original forums are back.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

not radio related, but could use some help

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
cstolp

PostSubject: not radio related, but could use some help   Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:09 pm

I am working on an idea and a slip ring would do exactly what I want. Are they know as anything else?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cstolp

PostSubject: Re: not radio related, but could use some help   Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:15 pm

maybe a better question would be, where can I get one?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Johncb

PostSubject: Re: not radio related, but could use some help   Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:32 pm

A few more details might help. What are you doing,... what do you want the "slip ring" to do ? What diameter do you need, etc.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cstolp

PostSubject: Re: not radio related, but could use some help   Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:57 pm

diameter is not important. I just need 5 wires. 3 12V+, 1 ground and 1 for video signal. I have an underwater camera for ice fishing and it is a royal pain to have to unwind and wind the cable. I want to put it on a reel such that it can be lowered and raised on the reel while being used.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Johncb

PostSubject: Re: not radio related, but could use some help   Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:29 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
glasdave

PostSubject: Re: not radio related, but could use some help   Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:34 pm

Wow, makes me want to build something Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tony Wells

PostSubject: Re: not radio related, but could use some help   Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:07 pm

Make a slip plate out of a PCB.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cstolp

PostSubject: Re: not radio related, but could use some help   Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:55 am

Tony Wells wrote:
Make a slip plate out of a PCB.

More involved that I'd like as I expect several attempts would be necessary before I got something reliable. That and I really don't have the necessary tools.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cstolp

PostSubject: Re: not radio related, but could use some help   Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:56 am

Johncb wrote:
Like these ?

http://www.moog.com/products/slip-rings/

http://www.mercotac.com/

http://www.slipring.cn/

http://www.sibley.com/sliprings.shtml

Yes biggest problem is most of those are just manufacturer web sites that don't cater to end users. They want to sell thousands or none. Looks like mercotac may sell onesy twosies. I will have to give them a call.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Johncb

PostSubject: Re: not radio related, but could use some help   Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:19 am

Yeah,... I didn't go too deep into who sold how many.

I would think somewhere in there is a retail outlet for the "single use" guy.

Even if they don't sell to the individual,... they may be able to point you towards someone who does.

BTW,... these were all found using Google Search and the phrase "Slip Ring". So, they are out there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cstolp

PostSubject: Re: not radio related, but could use some help   Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:59 am

Johncb wrote:
Yeah,... I didn't go too deep into who sold how many.

I would think somewhere in there is a retail outlet for the "single use" guy.

Even if they don't sell to the individual,... they may be able to point you towards someone who does.

BTW,... these were all found using Google Search and the phrase "Slip Ring". So, they are out there.

Oh yes I had found those already, was looking for a supplier like granger, mouser etc. Going through their catalogs I come up empty. I emailed the one this morning and got a response. $287. Ugh! not practical. Maybe I will have to consider manufacturing one of my own. I did see some articles on diy sliprings. I guess if I am going to move forward on this that will have to be the route.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cstolp

PostSubject: Re: not radio related, but could use some help   Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:05 am

Problem solved! Ebay! LOL
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cstolp

PostSubject: Re: not radio related, but could use some help   Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:53 am

cstolp wrote:
Problem solved! Ebay! LOL

Well that is if I want to order from China, and it appears that the buy it now price is not necesarily what you have to pay. Ugh! Why can't this be straight forward?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oakdust

PostSubject: Re: not radio related, but could use some help   Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:50 am

now you have an excuse to buy tools cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cstolp

PostSubject: Re: not radio related, but could use some help   Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:44 am

Talk about luck,

found one on ebay coming out of OR, won it for the opening bid of .99 and $5.00 shipping!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: not radio related, but could use some help   

Back to top Go down

not radio related, but could use some help
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1