Antique Radios Forum

This is the temporary home of the Antique Radio Forums while a new server to host it is being found. You will have to register here to post. Please Note: None of these topics will be preserved when the original forums are back.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Systron-Donner 6153 Freq Counter - Only Right Digit Works

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
focalpoint

PostSubject: Systron-Donner 6153 Freq Counter - Only Right Digit Works   Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:15 pm

I'm having some trouble with this Systron-Donner 6153 frequency counter. It's fairly old...uses Nixie tubes.

It powers up but only the rightmost digit will display anything other than zero, and then only on the "Count A" function. When set to Count A, though, the single tube that does respond properly cycles all the numbers in relation to the frequency of the signal - speeds up, slows down, etc.

I reseated all of the internal boards and pin connectors but that didn't help.

Anyone have any suggestions, or a schematic?

This might be too much and get scrapped, though...I understand that the ICs, and most of the couplets (of which there are about 50 it looks like) are unobtanium at this point if any of them are damaged.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
radiotechnician

PostSubject: Re: Systron-Donner 6153 Freq Counter - Only Right Digit Works   Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:36 pm

Here' a link that shows how the drivers are wired. The Nixie-Clock people make clocks so chips and parts are available. http://www.decodesystems.com/nixie.html

If you can get your counter to try and display pickup from a NTSC color TV horizontal oscillator, it will disaplay 15734.-- HZ this value in binary could be probed for at the BCD driver chips with you dmm. to see if the display is the only problem.

Nixies are charming, unless you spent a great deal of time keeping the displays working in a hostile industrial setting.

de

VE7ASO
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Johnnysan

PostSubject: Re: Systron-Donner 6153 Freq Counter - Only Right Digit Works   Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:30 am

Are you certain the time base is working?

I have worked on a couple of Systron-Donner counters, and the power supplies were under-engineered (IMO); check for proper voltages. They usually had the voltages printed on the circuit boards.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Systron-Donner 6153 Freq Counter - Only Right Digit Works   

Back to top Go down

Systron-Donner 6153 Freq Counter - Only Right Digit Works
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1