Antique Radios Forum

This is the temporary home of the Antique Radio Forums while a new server to host it is being found. You will have to register here to post. Please Note: None of these topics will be preserved when the original forums are back.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

old bad tubes

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
vacuum tubes tesla coil

PostSubject: old bad tubes   Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:37 pm

what do you do with them?

what I do

1. add like 4,000 volts at 1kwatt. boom Cool
2. over voltage the filiments, night light!
3. I take a rubber hammer, throw the tube in the air, hit the tube with the hammer, and if done right, it will implode. glass rain! What a Face

yes, I'm still alive

paul
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pixellany

PostSubject: Re: old bad tubes   Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:12 pm

Ah---to go back an be 10 years old again...... Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
stromberg6

PostSubject: Re: old bad tubes   Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:31 pm

I used to take old carbon pots, attach a train transformer to them, drop them in a jar of oil, turn on the juice, and watch 'em smoke. Also used to take electrolytics and blow them up using higher voltages than rated. If you have a bunch of old 'lytics, and some outlet strips, you can line them up in the sockets and flip the power on. They don't all pop at once, but at random, creating much smoke and confetti. Lots of confetti. Many ways to have fun with electronics!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ChrisH664

PostSubject: Re: old bad tubes   Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:40 pm

Yep 10 yrs old again and popping tv type tubes on the foundation of the house. We grew up next to a tv/radio repair shop so tubes and speakers etc were a plenty. Got in plenty of trouble for that stunt too. Ya know if you take a magnet removed from a tv speaker and stick it on the picture tube of a working Curtis Mathes it really fouls up the picture tube? Fortunately the picture came back on its own. after about an hour.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OldWireBender

PostSubject: Re: old bad tubes   Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:59 pm

stromberg6 wrote:
I used to take old carbon pots, attach a train transformer to them, drop them in a jar of oil, turn on the juice, and watch 'em smoke. Also used to take electrolytics and blow them up using higher voltages than rated. If you have a bunch of old 'lytics, and some outlet strips, you can line them up in the sockets and flip the power on. They don't all pop at once, but at random, creating much smoke and confetti. Lots of confetti. Many ways to have fun with electronics!

affraid

John
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JG Jackson

PostSubject: Re: old bad tubes   Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:11 am

Some dud tubes may have value to tube collectors $$$. Also - a radio looks better (& will sell better) if it has tubes in it... duds or not - (though it is nice to let a potential buyer know if the tubes are duds).... I've considered getting one of those clear glass lamps and filling it with dud tubes for display... sunny

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nick666

PostSubject: Re: old bad tubes   Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:30 am

That depends. If their old globe, st style or a really obscure maker i keep them, but if their the standard minature or gt types i usually gule the base th a peice of wood, put them on the back deck and hit them with a golf club and see how far the insides fly. If i want to destroy a 6aq5 i just put it in my philco 7051 tube tester and attempt to test it, i get a brite flash and pins 6 and 7 break out every time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
radiotechnician

PostSubject: Re: old bad tubes   Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:50 am

The old RCA tube manual had a list of elements and substances used in the manufacture of tubes so smashing them to bits might be unwise.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: old bad tubes   

Back to top Go down

old bad tubes
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1