Antique Radios Forum

This is the temporary home of the Antique Radio Forums while a new server to host it is being found. You will have to register here to post. Please Note: None of these topics will be preserved when the original forums are back.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Cisco Radio Question

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
postie

PostSubject: Cisco Radio Question   Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:16 pm

Hello All...I have come across a radio, currently non-working with a brandname of CISCO on the front and a model number of 571. I can find no information on such a radio and wondered if anyone might be familiar with this model or know of a website where I might research something about it. I'd like to get it up and working, but need a little more info. Thanks to anyone for any help! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dschulma

PostSubject: Re: Cisco Radio Question   Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:27 pm

Can you post a photo of it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
postie

PostSubject: Re: Cisco Radio Question   Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:32 pm

Haven't posted a picture on a forum in awhile...let me work on it and I'll get one up shortly. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dschulma

PostSubject: Re: Cisco Radio Question   Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:35 pm

If you have a free account on photobucket, it's quite simple, after uploading the photo, just copy and paste the "[IMG]" tag for the link here. Your photo will appear in your post...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
postie

PostSubject: Re: Cisco Radio Question   Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:40 pm

Here's (I hope) a pic of the Cisco:
It's in rough shape and even a simple thing like finding knobs is a mystery. Anyone venture a guess or two? Thanks again. Smile

Back to top Go down
View user profile
dschulma

PostSubject: Re: Cisco Radio Question   Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:47 pm

Is there any type of identifying mark on the chassis itself? A model number or other name, tag, etc? You may have to remove the chassis from the case and look all around and underneath...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dschulma

PostSubject: Re: Cisco Radio Question   Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:50 pm

Here's something close...perhaps made by General Television, as the link suggests?

http://radioattic.com/item.htm?radio=0117033
Back to top Go down
View user profile
postie

PostSubject: Re: Cisco Radio Question   Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:55 pm

The radio has on the chassis:
Model # 571
Serial # 170641
RMA Code No. 2136

There is also a small sticker inside with tube id:
14Q7
14A7
14B6
35Y4

Please note, I'm still a newbie at fixin' up the radios, so keep it as simple as possible. Smile

I do believe the "Cisco" is from Cities Service Oil Co....is that correct? Thanks again. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
postie

PostSubject: Re: Cisco Radio Question   Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:00 pm

dschulma, the link looks similar...wonder if it's the 1A5 or 9A5...I've found schematics for those two (but no pic yet), however the tubes are totally different.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dschulma

PostSubject: Re: Cisco Radio Question   Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:04 pm

I think I might have found it...made by Detrola, a 571 series perhaps. Look as this link:

http://detrola.tripod.com/index-2.html

Look under the "Infamous Detrola 571 Series" heading and the radio in the upper left right corner looks like the winner!

By the way that is a 50a5 tube in your line up.

Last edited by dschulma on Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
postie

PostSubject: Re: Cisco Radio Question   Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:20 pm

I think the top right is closer...same grill type. Thanks for the clarification on the tube...the sticker is tiny and I was writing fast...lol Plus, I can barely see anyways. So, I wonder where a person might find any body parts? Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dschulma

PostSubject: Re: Cisco Radio Question   Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:23 pm

Sorry, I meant top right! Rolling Eyes I would post your "needs" for parts, knobs, dials, etc., in the "Radio Classified" section of this forum and see who might have what you need. That would be where I'd start.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
postie

PostSubject: Re: Cisco Radio Question   Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:44 pm

Thank you so much for your help. I wonder if the lack of info on this radio is because it's rare or junk...LOL Thanks again. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ggregg

PostSubject: Re: Cisco Radio Question   Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:59 pm

It was made by Detrola. They private labeled radios for many companies. I believe the Detrola model 571 is the same if you need a schematic. They are not that rare. The case is pretty rough, how's the chassis.
Greg
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldradioparts

PostSubject: Re: Cisco Radio Question   Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:33 pm

That Detrola 571 may be THE most rebranded radio of all time. Detrola expert Dennis Smith has documented over 40 brands on it I think. It dates from 1946-1948 , the end of Detrola. Also at that time was the Chrome front Detrola, which is also found under many names. Both of these sets appear to also have been used a promotional items for corporations to give to employees or customers. For instance, the chrome front models show up with the WJR radio logo (an iconic Detroit powerhouse AM station).

the 571 shows up under Detrola's brand name too, and in many cabinet variations... such as the inverse color of what is shown here, as well as a wood cabinet and a metal cabinet.

Mark Oppat
www.oldradioparts.net
Back to top Go down
View user profile
postie

PostSubject: Re: Cisco Radio Question   Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:12 pm

Gosh, thanks for all the info...that will help me a LOT! The case is actually in very good condition, despite it's appearance. It has paint spills all over it, but no cracks or nicks or any damage that I can find. Should be pretty easy, albeit time-consuming, to remove all the paint. The chassis is nice and clean, but nothing is working on the radio. I have an old used variac to use as a starter for me until I get better. Brought the radio up with that, got nothing. Decided to be brave and just plugged the thing in...nothing. Gonna try a recap first...see what happens. Check tubes. Simple things first. Then, if I get nothing, I'll have to find a teacher...lol Thanks again for the info...really helpful! :)cc
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ggregg

PostSubject: Re: Cisco Radio Question   Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:22 pm

Try the 35W4 first. It's the first one in the string. However even if it lights up, if your filter capacitors are bad, and they most likely are, it probably won't last long. If the 35W4 is OK, try the 50A5 next, if that's OK, it could be any of the others. I would really replace the filter capacitors first before trying it. It might save you a couple of tubes. It will either be the biggest capacitor underneath or a metal can on top of the chassis. They are almost always multistage (more than 1 in the same container). They are available through Antique Electric and other sources. One for that set should be less than $5.

My case comments were looking at the deforming of the plastic dial and the speaker grill (common with this model), also the back paint on the dial has mostly fell off. But as was previously mentioned, this radio is pretty common so parts may not be hard to find. I too have always like the style of this set and have owned a couple in the past. Actually now that I think of it, I have a wood one buried somewhere.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OldWireBender

PostSubject: Re: Cisco Radio Question   Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:05 pm

When I first looked at the picture, I said "Detrola". That 'backwards' dial gave it away to me. I wonder how many other brands had the high frequencies at the left end of the dial? Excluding the early sets when the dials were calibrated in wavelength rather than frequency, of course.

John
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ggregg

PostSubject: Re: Cisco Radio Question   Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:47 am

There was an article in ARC one time that dealt with this. There were about a dozen or sets profiled that had that style of a dial. It would be a good topic to start and see how many are out there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cisco Radio Question   

Back to top Go down

Cisco Radio Question
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1