Antique Radios Forum

This is the temporary home of the Antique Radio Forums while a new server to host it is being found. You will have to register here to post. Please Note: None of these topics will be preserved when the original forums are back.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Who or what company/retailer decided to call Halloween a holiday?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ChrisH664

PostSubject: Who or what company/retailer decided to call Halloween a holiday?   Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:36 pm

My favorite time of the year. B-ball playoffs, football in full swing, no AC needed and Halloween. But it drives me batty when the phrase "Halloween holiday" is used. It is NOT a holiday. It's a tradition. I understand the importance of Halloween on the business side. Multi-billion $$ industry from retailers to candy makers but who ever thought of the idea of coining it "holiday" needs to be pelted with candy corn. Maybe the same person/company that decided on "fun size" to describe bite sized candy bars?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DennisH.

PostSubject: Re: Who or what company/retailer decided to call Halloween a holiday?   Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:41 pm

Seems to me it pretty well fits the definition of holiday and less that of a tradition.

"A holiday is a day designated as having special significance for which individuals, a government, or a religious group have deemed that observation is warranted. It is generally an official (more common) or unofficial observances of religious, national, or cultural significance, often accompanied by celebrations or festivities."

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gary Tayman

PostSubject: Re: Who or what company/retailer decided to call Halloween a holiday?   Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:22 pm

I think it's funny that a lot of churches don't want to celebrate this; when it sorta kinda originated as a religious holiday anyway. Being the eve of All Hallows Day, or All Saints Day, tradition or superstition or whatever has created the story that the evil spirits have one more night to lurk before the hallowed saints arrive and force them away to hell or purgatory or whatever. Origins, stories, and traditions vary (in Mexico it's the Day of the Dead), but they all seem to converge on the notion that spirits dwell among us and disappear at midnight.

What I find amusing is the fact that Halloween, which of course ends abruptly at midnight November first, seems to continue halfway through November -- skeletons hanging from trees, and all the other gory decorations. In contrast Christmas, which is essentially a celebration of Birth, gets the abrupt end treatment. Decorations arrive in the stores in August. Houses are decorated in November -- probably the same day they take down the skeletons. Christmas music is heard everywhere. Then, somewhere around noon on December 25, it's all over -- take down the tree, put out the lights, clean it all up, it's back to business.

In reality the Halloween thing is all tradition anyway. Dress up the kids, run around the neighborhood and get some candy, go to parties or display a few trinkets on a scary theme, and that's as far as it goes for the vast majority of us. Christmas is also totally tradition, where the celebration of the birth of the Messiah somehow got thrown into an existing end-of-year holiday. We don't even know when Jesus was born -- most suspect it was more like June, and about four years off from the calendar. Plus, Christianity is centered around His death, not so much His birth.

Not trying to start a religious discussion here; just trying to clarify some of the oddities in the celebrations of our holidays. I might add that, although I'm well aware of all the inconsistencies and errors, I believe the spirit of these holidays is to overlook all of the technicalities and simply enjoy the celebrations.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sal Brisindi

PostSubject: Re: Who or what company/retailer decided to call Halloween a holiday?   Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:30 pm

I never ever heard anyone say Halloween was a holiday, at least not in my neck of the woods.

Sal
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RR90

PostSubject: Re: Who or what company/retailer decided to call Halloween a holiday?   Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:57 pm

Halloween, HALLMARK... Conspiracy theory?

They have some interesting facts on their website - accroding to them, it's the third largest party day behind New Years and SuperBowl. http://corporate.hallmark.com/Holiday/Halloween

Last edited by RR90 on Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alan Douglas

PostSubject: Re: Who or what company/retailer decided to call Halloween a holiday?   Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:06 pm

I've never heard it called a holiday either. Of course even the meaning of that word has changed over the years.

If it were up to me, Christmas carols would be sung on Christmas eve, period. I usually leave the tree up for a week, though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hwnorman

PostSubject: Re: Who or what company/retailer decided to call Halloween a holiday?   Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:42 pm

I have never heard of Halloween being called a holiday until I read this thread. It certainly doesn't meet the criteria of a holiday to me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Johncb

PostSubject: Re: Who or what company/retailer decided to call Halloween a holiday?   Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:41 pm

It wasn't started by a retailer.

It has it's roots in a Celtic festival called Samhain and the Christian festival " All Saints Day" ( and probably a few other festivals).

The name "Halloween" is derived from the Scottish festival "All Hallows Even" (Evening).

These festivals mostly celebrated the end of the Harvest and Summer,... and the beginning of Winter.

There are various legends surrounding these festivals.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Radiosmoker

PostSubject: Re: Who or what company/retailer decided to call Halloween a holiday?   Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:08 pm

It's the same mentality as calling Thanksgiving,

Mad Turkey Day Mad

So Revisionists try to remake History so everyone will fit into their warped world, and truth is suppressed. But we are smarter then they.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bill Cahill

PostSubject: Re: Who or what company/retailer decided to call Halloween a holiday?   Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:23 am

Let me put it this way....
In the Christian church halloween is significant. It is called "All Hallow's eve".
ON Thanksgiving:
The intention was to be grateful for the many blessings over the year. The first thanksgiving was for thanks that the pilgrims survived the harsh weather, and, very bad disease problems.
Bill Cahill
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tpaairman

PostSubject: Re: Who or what company/retailer decided to call Halloween a holiday?   Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:21 am

Not to go the religious route - just an observation. The church issue to me is simply that some churches want to shy away from things that sound evil or might maybe be evil without actually checking into it first, or having all the facts. A couple times I've heard someone in my own church say something along these lines that made me think "You can't be serious."

It reminds me of a friend of mine. We were out somewhere and a Paula Abdul song was playing. On the CD the songs starts out with some middle eastern sounding music. Mind you at this point in the song it's instruments only. His immediate response: "Oh, that's definitely satanic." All jokes about Paula Abdul aside, she certainly does not do devil worshiping music.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
simplex1040

PostSubject: Re: Who or what company/retailer decided to call Halloween a holiday?   Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:35 am

Quote :
Decorations arrive in the stores in August....

Dang that is late the arrive at the end of June here in some stores.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mike Toon

PostSubject: Re: Who or what company/retailer decided to call Halloween a holiday?   Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:32 pm

Not a holiday here either. Last week I was at a customer's house that has a fake Xmas tree with Halloween decorations. (She has a screw loose anyway)

My neighbor across the street put up Xmas lights Sat Oct 2nd. I'll bet the stores will have Xmas stuff soon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dale Saukerson

PostSubject: Re: Who or what company/retailer decided to call Halloween a holiday?   Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:30 pm

Here in Minneapolis....it is not rare to hang the Xmas lights and decorations outside close to Halloween.
If we wait till Thanksgiving, by then the wet/cold weather has arrived to last till spring.
I worked retail for 24 years (poor me). Xmas goods started arriving in mid August so that our regional warehouses could empty out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Johncb

PostSubject: Re: Who or what company/retailer decided to call Halloween a holiday?   Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:51 pm

Dale Saukerson wrote:
Here in Minneapolis....it is not rare to hang the Xmas lights and decorations outside close to Halloween.
If we wait till Thanksgiving, by then the wet/cold weather has arrived to last till spring.
I worked retail for 24 years (poor me). Xmas goods started arriving in mid August so that our regional warehouses could empty out.

Yep,... we saw Christmas stuff in the stores in late September. Halloween candy in late August.

Ya gots to get a jump on things up here,... it gets cold, icy and snowy real quick. Wink

Outside lights go up next week ! That gives me time to change oil in the vehicles,... and tune up the Snow Blower and Snowmobiles.

Leaves were done last week and the Lawnmower put away for the Winter.

The freezer got filled in August at the annual PigglyWiggly meat sale.

Next thing is Deer season. That starts a week before Thanksgiving. (There's still room in the other freezer.) Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mike Toon

PostSubject: Re: Who or what company/retailer decided to call Halloween a holiday?   Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:55 pm

http://isitaholidaytoday.com/holiday_list.php calls Halloween a holiday. Good excuse not to work!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who or what company/retailer decided to call Halloween a holiday?   

Back to top Go down

Who or what company/retailer decided to call Halloween a holiday?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1