Antique Radios Forum

This is the temporary home of the Antique Radio Forums while a new server to host it is being found. You will have to register here to post. Please Note: None of these topics will be preserved when the original forums are back.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

And it played for 15 or more days~ Oops~

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
pred

PostSubject: And it played for 15 or more days~ Oops~   Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:37 pm

I got back from a weeks vacation last Wednesday, I immediately had to do some work in another location for a few days and came back to the building I take care of Monday, Now today, Tuesday I was sitting in my office and went to turn on my small Motorola BC Radio from the early 50s, I know, That's not too old, But it was one of the first radios I went through, Well it was already on Suspect Suspect I turn to my Helper/Partner and ask if he turned it on earlier that day Question Nope, He said that before I went on vacation he was sitting using my computer and noticed it was on and was listening to it, Yet never turned it off,
So this Motorola has been running for at least 15 days that I know of for sure,,
SSooo I guess I did an OK job of recapping and changing out the couple resistors that were not right.
I dont sell the radios I have worked on, I have given a few sets away and listen to them at home and at work, But never ran one for over two weeks straight..
I'de figure that they would run for years when new without any issues, Just never left one on for more than 36 hours thus far. (Zenith 7-s-343.
Have you ever left one playing ???
The Motorola was a twin speaker AA5.. But still I am happy it still plays like new!
Peter
Sorry I dont have my own pic.
But it's one of these
http://www.radioatticarchives.com/radio.htm?radio=1828
Back to top Go down
View user profile
slammed87d21

PostSubject: Re: And it played for 15 or more days~ Oops~   Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:04 pm

Wow, you must have done a good job on it. I'm too paranoid to leave anything on, let alone plugged in. Never had an issue, but just paranoid.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aaron

PostSubject: Re: And it played for 15 or more days~ Oops~   Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:42 pm

Well, I never leave anything on that long, just because there's no reason to do so. That's a nice set, by the way. I have a similar model, the 56W1B. It's got a wooden cab that's badly in need of a refinish. Sad

Aaron
Back to top Go down
View user profile
47'Plymouth864

PostSubject: Re: And it played for 15 or more days~ Oops~   Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:02 pm

left unattended could cause a house fire Sad What a Face
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pred

PostSubject: Re: And it played for 15 or more days~ Oops~   Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:26 pm

Even if it was attended it could cause an office fire ?!?!?!
I would expect that from the day you could plug a radio into a wall outlet, They have been left on not only for 15 days or more, But I am sure that some were left on for years at a time.
I am not saying that it's not a wise idea to turn a radio on and then leave for two weeks, But if the radio was rebuilt right, It should be OK for a few weeks and not burst into flames.
I listen to this radio each day and I am glad to see that my work held up and the radio is still playing a few hours a day! And yes I did remember to turn it off today before I left.
Peter
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: And it played for 15 or more days~ Oops~   

Back to top Go down

And it played for 15 or more days~ Oops~
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1