Antique Radios Forum

This is the temporary home of the Antique Radio Forums while a new server to host it is being found. You will have to register here to post. Please Note: None of these topics will be preserved when the original forums are back.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Halicrafters s-53 issue

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
simplex1040

PostSubject: Halicrafters s-53 issue   Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:26 pm

I am working on a boat anchor for someone.

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByModel/874/M0008874.pdf

Before I got it he had taken it to someone else because the alignment was off. The someone else really did not know much about older radios. So when the someone else started to align when they touched the first adjustment screw(S1) on IF transformer ( T13) they lost the signal and could never get it back.

The real issue with the alignment was that the on the band spread tuner plates one of the plates was bent and would not mesh in the tuning cap there for throwing off the dial.

Now I have no RF traveling thru this set. I do have audio so the audio section is working . I do get hums and crackles when i put my meter various tubes to test voltages.

So my question is this an open or shorted trimmer in the IF? what am I looking for? Yes set has been recapped (by me tonight) I have not gone thru the "inject a signal at X" yet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
smeezekitty

PostSubject: Re: Halicrafters s-53 issue   Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:38 pm

simplex1040 wrote:
I am working on a boat anchor for someone.

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByModel/874/M0008874.pdf

Before I got it he had taken it to someone else because the alignment was off. The someone else really did not know much about older radios. So when the someone else started to align when they touched the first adjustment screw(S1) on IF transformer ( T13) they lost the signal and could never get it back.

The real issue with the alignment was that the on the band spread tuner plates one of the plates was bent and would not mesh in the tuning cap there for throwing off the dial.

Now I have no RF traveling thru this set. I do have audio so the audio section is working . I do get hums and crackles when i put my meter various tubes to test voltages.

So my question is this an open or shorted trimmer in the IF? what am I looking for? Yes set has been recapped (by me tonight) I have not gone thru the "inject a signal at X" yet.
Slug tuned?

Maybe a cracked slug?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
simplex1040

PostSubject: Re: Halicrafters s-53 issue   Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:45 pm

My guess it is slug tuned but would a cracked slug kill it completely
Back to top Go down
View user profile
smeezekitty

PostSubject: Re: Halicrafters s-53 issue   Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:13 pm

Try turning the chassis right side up and upside down while its on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Johnnysan

PostSubject: Re: Halicrafters s-53 issue   Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:13 am

Unfortunately this guy could have misaligned every stage. You will need to start at the last IF stage, inject a signal at the input of that stage and make sure it is performing properly, then move up to the RF amp. I think you have your work cut out for you.
Yes, a misaligned stage can completely kill a radio, and a cracked slug can do it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Arnie

PostSubject: Re: Halicrafters s-53 issue   Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:53 am

I just finished working on one of these. I got it at a yard sale for $8. It's a nice radio. The 2.075 Mhz IF is a bit wierd but it will peek quite nicely if you follow the alignment procedure. Inject at the stator of the tuning cap and peek those four slug tuned coils - top and bottom.

If you can't get the IF through, then the problem might be with the coil itself - like a broken wire from agressive tweaking. you can check continuity on the IF transformers to see if any are open. When you get done, you'll be surprised at how well the little set plays - I was anyway.

arnie - W1GCI
Back to top Go down
View user profile
simplex1040

PostSubject: Re: Halicrafters s-53 issue   Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:41 am

according to my customer he made the guy stop after turning the first adjustment so I do not think the others have been touched. I shall see

so if the slug has cracked how does one get it back into position or replaced etc.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
burnt fingers

PostSubject: Re: Halicrafters s-53 issue   Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:48 am

Thats too small to qualify as a boat anchor but they are cute, I have a S-53A in as new original condition on display. This replaced the S-53 after they received many complaints about the poor selectivity of the 2.075 mc IF and went with a poor image rejection 455 kc.

The S-53 is a one year set and the IF is slug tuned according to Riders and the slug may have broke when forced.

Carl
Back to top Go down
View user profile
simplex1040

PostSubject: Re: Halicrafters s-53 issue   Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:57 pm

ok so back to original queation of "if it is a cracked slug what do I do"?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gearhead222

PostSubject: Re: Halicrafters s-53 issue   Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:48 pm

Accidentally did this on an H500 and learned my lesson. If the slug is cracked, you replace it-Gearhead
Back to top Go down
View user profile
simplex1040

PostSubject: Re: Halicrafters s-53 issue   Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:30 pm

gearhead222 wrote:
Accidentally did this on an H500 and learned my lesson. If the slug is cracked, you replace it-Gearhead

any special tricks?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gearhead222

PostSubject: Re: Halicrafters s-53 issue   Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:35 pm

Turn the chassis upside down, poke and shake!Wink-Gearhead
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dennis Wess

PostSubject: Re: Halicrafters s-53 issue   Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:52 pm

simplex1040 wrote:

any special tricks?

Carefully remove the broken slug pieces and measure its precise length, diameter and count the number of threads in 1/4 inch. Post your findings here. Lots of ARFers (including me) have accumulated a slug junk drawer over the years and might have what you need.

Dennis
Back to top Go down
View user profile
simplex1040

PostSubject: Re: Halicrafters s-53 issue   Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:25 pm

Ok I have to figure out how to get these if cans open to get to the slugs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Halicrafters s-53 issue   

Back to top Go down

Halicrafters s-53 issue
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1