Antique Radios Forum

This is the temporary home of the Antique Radio Forums while a new server to host it is being found. You will have to register here to post. Please Note: None of these topics will be preserved when the original forums are back.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

H-K shorts in 35Y4?/weird reception issue with Silvertone 7054

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hemingray

PostSubject: H-K shorts in 35Y4?/weird reception issue with Silvertone 7054   Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:55 pm

Scored a rather rough looking Silvertone 7054 recently, uses all loctal tubes (14Q7, 7B7, 7B7, 50A5, 35Y4). The original 35Y4 had a massive H-K short going (bad enough to actually light the short indiciator on my Sencore TC-142). Got a replacement on the bay, it too, showed a (not even half as bad) short. Were H-K shorts frequent with this tube? Am I going to have to make an adaptor to convert it to a 35Z5/W4?

Started recapping on it, this radio had a previous "hack" in it at some point. Two sections of the three-section electrolytic cap had been replaced, and the solder job on the negative terminal of the replacement was so lousy, all I had to do to remove it was (literally!) push it off and unhook the lead. This is a rather nice radio with four presets on it, but weird thing, is it will only really get decent reception if I hold my hand on the antenna coil on the back panel. I've began replacing the old paper caps in it (as well as one .0001mfd C-D "domino" cap near the 7B7 RF amp). Only noticable change in operation (besides a slightly brighter dial light with the replacement 35Y4), was slightly better sound with those old caps out of that part of the circuit.

The bakelite cabinet has definitely seen better days. Not sure if these ever came in a pale white, but I suspect it was painted. (there's dark spots in many places). Pieces of it are broken off, especially around the area between the dial and the preset buttons.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Johnnysan

PostSubject: Re: H-K shorts in 35Y4?/weird reception issue with Silvertone 7054   Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:04 am

You must have a version that uses Loctals, as the 7054 in Sams and Riders uses octals. I would say the coil that connects to the 14Q7 is open, or not working for some reason.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hemingray

PostSubject: Re: H-K shorts in 35Y4?/weird reception issue with Silvertone 7054   Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:09 am

Whoops, went to look at it again and seen that it's a 7021, not a 7054.

Which coil? I ohmed out the antenna on the back, all connections check out just fine. Osc coil maybe?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Johnnysan

PostSubject: Re: H-K shorts in 35Y4?/weird reception issue with Silvertone 7054   Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:12 pm

Yes, the oscillator coil. It connects to the 14Q7 and has 2 taps. If you want the Sams PM your email address.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hemingray

PostSubject: Re: H-K shorts in 35Y4?/weird reception issue with Silvertone 7054   Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:12 pm

Got it, printed it out. Will look into this either here in a bit, or tomorrow morning.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: H-K shorts in 35Y4?/weird reception issue with Silvertone 7054   

Back to top Go down

H-K shorts in 35Y4?/weird reception issue with Silvertone 7054
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1