Antique Radios Forum

This is the temporary home of the Antique Radio Forums while a new server to host it is being found. You will have to register here to post. Please Note: None of these topics will be preserved when the original forums are back.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Grille cloth cleaning

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mike W.

PostSubject: Grille cloth cleaning   Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:50 am

I was reading in another post that someone cleaned a grille cloth on a phono, and it got me thinking....I have PLENTY of stuff around here that could use a grille cloth cleaning. On the ones that are a removable baffle board, and the cloth is just wrapped around and stapled, it seems basic enough removal, and refitting. But the ones that are glued to the baffle, what do you do?
What's a general purpose/safe go-to chemical for this?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cstolp

PostSubject: Re: Grille cloth cleaning   Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:09 am

I researched this topic in the forum that is currently down and it seems to me that dry cleaning was the consensus. There are use dry cleaning products available in spray cans etc.

I believe the consensus was also that water was a sure way to almost garentee shrinkage. That was my experience. I had no choice, but as it turns out my grille cloths were stained with wood stain and I highly doubt anything can remove that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
simplex1040

PostSubject: Re: Grille cloth cleaning   Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:24 am

I have not had luck cleaning grill cloth most has fallen apart when i tried.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gary rabbitt

PostSubject: Re: Grille cloth cleaning   Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:34 pm

Yes, some will fall right apart.
Other methods have been to use the dry cleaning methods.

Another is to place the grillecloth on some clean cloths. Spray with a diluted detergent then press another clean cloth on top to press out the dirt and grime. If you are luck and the cloth has not fallen apart, you can repeat or dry it out.

If the cloth is in good shape, only dirty, use a paint brush and a light blow with an air compressor, that will minimize the dirt without getting it wet.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Grille cloth cleaning   

Back to top Go down

Grille cloth cleaning
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1