Antique Radios Forum

This is the temporary home of the Antique Radio Forums while a new server to host it is being found. You will have to register here to post. Please Note: None of these topics will be preserved when the original forums are back.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

prototyping board

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
pixellany

PostSubject: prototyping board   Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:24 am

I just bought a piece of FR4 board with .041" holes on 0.1" centers. (No copper pads) It is called "prototyping board".

In the old days, I would use a variant of this with larger holes---and would insert press-fit terminals where I needed a junction. There do not seem to be any terminals available for the smaller holes.

SO--how are these boards typically used? e.g.: put component leads thru the holes and solder together on the back?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rich, W3HWJ

PostSubject: Re: prototyping board   Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:19 am

I think the "old" boards had .062 holes and we used swaged "turret terminals" or "flea clips."

I seldom use that kind of board for prototyping. I much prefer to use a copper-patterned board (Radio Shack still has them) or a solid copper board. The solid copper-clad can be used for "dead-bug" construction... glueing the parts to the board with their leads sticking upward. The best is "Manhattan-style" construction. You will find a lot of info on the Internet.

Yes, you can just stick the component leads thru and solder them together on the other side, or use jumper wires.

Rich
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pixellany

PostSubject: Re: prototyping board   Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:34 am

Rich, W3HWJ wrote:
I think the "old" boards had .062 holes and we used swaged "turret terminals" or "flea clips."
Indeed--that's what I used to use---and I probably have a bunch of what you call "flea clips"

I'm starting to think about eyelets. I had been searching for these** to no avail when I finally found them at Mouser. They bill them as usable for circuit boards---solderability, etc.

Rich

**my application for eyelets is as hollow rivets mounting a tube socket---with the wire to the grid cap coming thru the hole in the rivet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pixellany

PostSubject: Re: prototyping board   Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:40 am

Quote :
The best is "Manhattan-style" construction.
Great tip!! I had forgotten about that method (never knew it by that name)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: prototyping board   

Back to top Go down

prototyping board
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1