Antique Radios Forum

This is the temporary home of the Antique Radio Forums while a new server to host it is being found. You will have to register here to post. Please Note: None of these topics will be preserved when the original forums are back.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Antiquing a polished escutcheon

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
dgadzinski

PostSubject: Antiquing a polished escutcheon   Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:40 pm

I picked up a nice radio over the weekend (Truetone D724), but the seller thought he was doing the next owner a favor by polishing the escutcheon. I think there is a chemical that can make it look old again. Does anyone know anything about this?

Dave
Back to top Go down
View user profile
smeezekitty

PostSubject: Re: Antiquing a polished escutcheon   Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:02 pm

Why would you do that?
Most people want radios looking like new (especially logos).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tony Wells

PostSubject: Re: Antiquing a polished escutcheon   Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:26 pm

Last edited by Tony Wells on Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
glasdave

PostSubject: Re: Antiquing a polished escutcheon   Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:28 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
IndianaRadios

PostSubject: Re: Antiquing a polished escutcheon   Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:20 am

I just leave a polished escutcheon hanging on a tree branch for awhile and let nature tarnish it. Assuming there are plenty of rainy days when doing this. It takes awhile, about a month, but it winds up looking really natural and not rushed by some spray can.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.indianaradios.com
Reece

PostSubject: Re: Antiquing a polished escutcheon   Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:47 am

I had this same problem and researched a lot on the web. Came up with this: hard boil an egg. Put it in a ziplock bag and smash it well. Put the brass piece in question in with it but not touching the egg, so that the fumes will get onto the brass. Leave overnight. May need to "re-egg" a time or two to get the effect you want. Don't eat the egg.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OldWireBender

PostSubject: Re: Antiquing a polished escutcheon   Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:49 am

Here's a great article and instructions from the Nostalgia Air site:

Refinishing Bezel/Escutcheons

John
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pixellany

PostSubject: Re: Antiquing a polished escutcheon   Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:24 pm

smeezekitty wrote:
Why would you do that?

My reading tells me that people seriously interested in old radios do NOT want them looking new---they want them to look authentic.

A Thomas replica looks new----yuck!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Don Cavey

PostSubject: Re: Antiquing a polished escutcheon   Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:18 pm

pixellany wrote:
smeezekitty wrote:
Why would you do that?

My reading tells me that people seriously interested in old radios do NOT want them looking new---they want them to look authentic.

A Thomas replica looks new----yuck!!

So what is authentic? With patina as it would appear today? Or authentic as it would have looked when new? Just a question, not a statement or disagreement, seriously!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alan Douglas

PostSubject: Re: Antiquing a polished escutcheon   Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:21 pm

I assume the Rockler product is the same as Birchwood-Casey's "Antique Black". That contains selenious acid, according to the label. Depending on the time in the bath, it can be darker than the natural patina will ever get. Liver of Sulfur works well too, but not everyone has it lying around.

"Authentic" to me is the original surface. Properly done originally, it will not change with age.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Don Cavey

PostSubject: Re: Antiquing a polished escutcheon   Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:24 pm

Alan Douglas wrote:
..."Authentic" to me is the original surface. Properly done originally, it will not change with age.

Thanks Alan.

BTW, is the room that organ is housed in waterproof? I hope you guys don't get too much rain this weekend...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alan Douglas

PostSubject: Re: Antiquing a polished escutcheon   Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:36 pm

An inch of rain and a little wind? Nothing. The big hamfest on Friday in Deerfield NH, on the other hand, seems to have picked the wrong day.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Don Cavey

PostSubject: Re: Antiquing a polished escutcheon   Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:39 pm

Alan Douglas wrote:
An inch of rain and a little wind? Nothing. The big hamfest on Friday in Deerfield NH, on the other hand, seems to have picked the wrong day.

Well, since you are sticking out into the ocean so far, I am glad that is all that will happen.

Take care, be safe,
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DavidS

PostSubject: Re: Antiquing a polished escutcheon   Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:12 am

Oh crap just buy one of the off the shelf brass darkeners (liver of sulfur soln.) And you will have much control over how dark it gets. Make sure the part is very clean free of waxes, coatings, and oils. You can't go wrong and if you go too dark, buff to where you want it to be. ..... done
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RadioHist

PostSubject: Coloring brass bezels - this works perfectly   Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:23 am

I've found this product to work perfectly for years now.

http://www.jaxchemicals.com/jaxshop/shopexd.asp?id=37

Check out their other materials....

I use Jax Black for an 'off label' use.... In restoring radios of the 1920's, I hate to lift the lid and see brand new shiny solder joints screaming out at me. I found that you can scuff a new solder joint with a very fine wire brush, clean the flux off the joint with alcohol then put a drop of Jax Black on a Q-Tip and daub it on the joint. Presto! In about 80 seconds the joint will look like it is 80 years old. Use a cotton ball moistened with distilled water to daub off any excess and blow dry... This does not appear to produce any on-going oxidation or corrosion.

Note that many of the chemicals carry a UPS hazardous material charge of $25 per shipment.
So stock up in one order..

Robert
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Orduna

PostSubject: Re: Antiquing a polished escutcheon   Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:32 am

when it´s happend, i ´m always put the scutcheon on my kitchen and burn with fire, it´s make get the brass darker and looks like old...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
45honcho1

PostSubject: Re: Antiquing a polished escutcheon   Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:54 am

I would be interested in hearing Mr. Goller's response to this thread. I remember him posting awhile back about a chemical or some sort he purchased for doing this exact thing. I think he said it was quite expensive. Just curious if he has had any results yet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dgadzinski

PostSubject: Re: Antiquing a polished escutcheon   Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:52 am

Thanks for all of the input. I've added a few of my own (humor) because some of these suggestions are interesting to say the least although I have no doubt they would work.
- Hang it from a tree for a month
-Hard boil an egg and put it in a ziplock with the escutcheon.
- Embed it in the carcass of roadkill and take home in a plastic garbage bag. Check in 1 week.
- Take it to a local pub on a Friday around 5 pm, place in urinal with a "do not flush" sign, leave in urinal till last call, remove from urinal, do not rinse, place in clear ziplock bag, leave on window sill for about a week, remove and rinse.

I'm curious to try one of these home remedies, I'll let you know what I did with a before and after pic.

Dave
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DavidS

PostSubject: Re: Antiquing a polished escutcheon   Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:14 pm

dgadzinski wrote:
Thanks for all of the input. I've added a few of my own (humor) because some of these suggestions are interesting to say the least although I have no doubt they would work.
- Hang it from a tree for a month
-Hard boil an egg and put it in a ziplock with the escutcheon.
- Embed it in the carcass of roadkill and take home in a plastic garbage bag. Check in 1 week.
- Take it to a local pub on a Friday around 5 pm, place in urinal with a "do not flush" sign, leave in urinal till last call, remove from urinal, do not rinse, place in clear ziplock bag, leave on window sill for about a week, remove and rinse.

I'm curious to try one of these home remedies, I'll let you know what I did with a before and after pic.

Dave

Dave that's too funny....luv it ... David lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JG Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Antiquing a polished escutcheon   Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:15 am

DavidS wrote:
Oh crap just buy one of the off the shelf brass darkeners (liver of sulfur soln.) And you will have much control over how dark it gets. Make sure the part is very clean free of waxes, coatings, and oils. You can't go wrong and if you go too dark, buff to where you want it to be. ..... done

Agreed.... in fact - definitely get it just a bit darker than you want the final version to be and use 4-0 steel wool to carefully polish it back to the final stage. Have used this technique successfully several times....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Reece

PostSubject: Re: Antiquing a polished escutcheon   Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:36 am

The egg thing works; as I wrote, you might have to do a couple of overnights with a new egg each time, and it just takes a trip to the fridge, nothing to order.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JG Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Antiquing a polished escutcheon   Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:05 am

Reece wrote:
The egg thing works; as I wrote, you might have to do a couple of overnights with a new egg each time, and it just takes a trip to the fridge, nothing to order.

I believe it's due to the sulfur contained in eggs.... will also tarnish silver.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
k9uwa

PostSubject: Re: Antiquing a polished escutcheon   Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:58 am

45honcho1 wrote:
I would be interested in hearing Mr. Goller's response to this thread. I remember him posting awhile back about a chemical or some sort he purchased for doing this exact thing. I think he said it was quite expensive. Just curious if he has had any results yet.

Well I yes have been reading with interest this thread. I tried so far only one time the chemical stuff we bought. And yes its expensive. I darkened one polished Escutcheon perhaps a bit too dark and then let it set for a while. Then used the 4ought steel wool to carefully rub it a bit and it appears to be somewhat OK. I think I need more practice at using the stuff yet. It was originally suggested to me by Bill Meacham and I think that Alan Douglas perhaps was who had sent a small bottle of the stuff to Bill.

John k9uwa
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alan Douglas

PostSubject: Re: Antiquing a polished escutcheon   Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:06 am

I have a partial gallon of the Birchwood-Casey product and I have sent some to others, but that was before the postal regulations against mailing liquids.

I expect it's the same stuff being sold by other dealers mentioned here. Who is the real maker, I wouldn't know.

Stop by and I'll give you some.

I've heard that gun bluing also works on brass. That might be easier to get locally.

Previous to acquiring the "Antique Black" I used liver of sulfur. That produces hydrogen sulfide gas when dissolved in hot water. Since rotten eggs also produce hydrogen sulfide, I guess you could use the egg method already mentioned.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dgadzinski

PostSubject: Re: Antiquing a polished escutcheon   Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:46 am

Alan Douglas wrote:
I have a partial gallon of the Birchwood-Casey product and I have sent some to others, but that was before the postal regulations against mailing liquids.
Stop by and I'll give you some.

Where are you?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Antiquing a polished escutcheon   

Back to top Go down

Antiquing a polished escutcheon
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next