Antique Radios Forum

This is the temporary home of the Antique Radio Forums while a new server to host it is being found. You will have to register here to post. Please Note: None of these topics will be preserved when the original forums are back.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Knobs for Silvertone

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
terrydec

PostSubject: Knobs for Silvertone   Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:12 pm

I got this nice Silvertone on eBay for $20. It works but the FM is weak. I haven't got onto it yet, probably a weak tube or alignment issue.
However, it DOES need new knobs. I have knobs, but the problem is that these are recessed. I've checked around, like eBay, AES, etc. and can't find what I need. So I'm turning to the reliable and trusty Antique Radio Forum. Why, you ask? Because these are the most knowledgeable and informed people in the world. (Hey, a little stroking never hurts.)
So, if you have something that'll work, or can direct me to someplace that does, there will be mucho atta boys involved, plus one Murphy's Law pass.

These are the knobs that came with it. The only good thing about them is that they turn stuff-

So- Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks,
Terry
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ggregg

PostSubject: Re: Knobs for Silvertone   Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:21 pm

There is a guy that might be able to help you. I believe his website and business is called "gobs of knobs". I don't remember his name. He was on the old site fairly often.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carl_Travis

PostSubject: Re: Knobs for Silvertone   Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:50 pm

ggregg wrote:
There is a guy that might be able to help you. I believe his website and business is called "gobs of knobs". I don't remember his name. He was on the old site fairly often.
His name is Mike Koste, and I don't believe that he has a website.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Carl_Travis

PostSubject: Re: Knobs for Silvertone   Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:55 pm

Terry,
your knobs should look like the ones pictured on this radio at the Radio Attic:
http://www.radioatticarchives.com/radio.htm?radio=6499
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eliot Ness

PostSubject: Re: Knobs for Silvertone   Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:18 pm

Terry,

Once you know what knobs you need these are the 4 folks to contact for original knobs:

Mark Oppat:
www.oldradioparts.net

moppat at comcast dot net

Mike Koste:
gokmike at gmail dot com

David Frush:
parts2many at aol dot com

Julie McCall:

radiopup at bellsouth dot net

For REPRODUCTION radio knobs, here are two sources:

Ed Schutz:
www.renovatedradios.com

Larry Bordonaro:
www.antiqueradioknobs.com

* names are listed in no particular order.

* Larry Bordonaro might be out with health issues for a while.

________
John
Back to top Go down
View user profile
terrydec

PostSubject: Re: Knobs for Silvertone   Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:51 pm

Thanks Carl-
I don't believe my radio will EVER look that good. But now I know what the knobs should look like.
Elliot Ness-
Thanks for the suggestions. I thought of Mark, just posted here first. I don't think I'm going to pay for repro knobs for $20 radio; but hey, you never know.
Once again, the forum comes through. I LOVE these forums. I hope Alan gets to old site up and running again. Don't get me wrong, this is great, but it's like borrowing your son's jacket. It fits, but just doesn't feel right.
Terry
Back to top Go down
View user profile
terrydec

PostSubject: Re: Knobs for Silvertone   Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:04 pm

Later-
As far as I can tell all of those sites are for repro knobs-
Yeah, $30 to $80 for knobs for a $20 radio?
Umm, I don't think so. I'll build 'em myself for that.
I'm sure if I have patience something will turn up.
Thanks again, though, for the time and effort.
Terry
(Gee, now that I think about it, those silver knobs don't look all THAT bad.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eliot Ness

PostSubject: Re: Knobs for Silvertone   Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:17 pm

Terry,

Those first four names all sell ORIGINAL knobs, and I bet those Silvertone knobs would sell fairly reasonably if they have them or anything close. You just have to e-mail them and see if they have what you need. Julie sold me a set of original AK cathedral knobs cheaper than repros would be.

El Cheapo plan B (credit goes to Mark Oppat): Find a knob that you like, cut the shafts off the current knobs and epoxy them to the knobs you want to use. Similar shafts from TV knobs would also work. I think Mark noted that regular epoxy was stronger than the 5 minute stuff. JB Weld might work well too, but I've never seen that in a dollar store.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
radioaddict

PostSubject: Re: Knobs for Silvertone   Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:28 pm

I can personally vouch for RADIOPUP... she deals with original knobs primarily and is very fair on price. Additionally, over the past 10 years I've dealt with the other 3 original knob dealers from time to time and found them to be reasonable with pricing too.

Not only do they clean, sort, and identify their knob stock, these folks travel to many of the popular swap meets. A lot of knobs have to be sold to turn a profit, and most common knobs are usually priced in the $5-8 range. Plus, most folks who deal with repros start around $10-15 per item, as a comparison.

I can certainly understand the dilema of spending more on knobs than a radio may be worth. I've done it on some, some I haven't. Good luck.

KT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mike C.

PostSubject: Re: Knobs for Silvertone   Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:40 pm

[quote="Eliot Ness"]

...Julie sold me a set of original AK cathedral knobs cheaper than repros would be....
quote]

Julie is a great person to deal with.She also sold me a set of original knobs for my GE console for less than the cost of repros.She also has one Hell of a memory.I told her I was looking for bakelite trim pieces for the same radio.Many months later I get an e-mail from her pointing out the fact that someone was selling those very rare pieces here in the classifieds.I'm lucky if I can remember whatI had for dinner two nights ago.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jharrellh

PostSubject: I have at least 2 knobs...   Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:50 pm

Hi Terry

I have at least the volume and tuning knobs that you can have for free, just PM me your address. I assume the third knob in the band switch - does it have 2 or 3 positions? The third knob I have is marked AM-FM-Phono, but would still fit even if you don't have a phono input.

Regards,
James H
Back to top Go down
View user profile
terrydec

PostSubject: Re: Knobs for Silvertone   Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:31 pm

Thanks James-
PM sent
I LOVE this forum.

Yeah, I only checked Mark and the two repro sites. My apologies if I implied anything else. James has consented to donate to the cause. I have made note of the other sites for future reference.

Thanks again to everyone for their time and effort.
I'll be sure and post my progress as this project comes together.
(Now HOW MANY sets are in front of this on the bench?)
Terry
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Knobs for Silvertone   

Back to top Go down

Knobs for Silvertone
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Antique Radios Forum :: Antique Radio Forums :: Antique Radio Discussions-
Jump to: