Antique Radios Forum

This is the temporary home of the Antique Radio Forums while a new server to host it is being found. You will have to register here to post. Please Note: None of these topics will be preserved when the original forums are back.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

KABOOOM!!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
dynadude

PostSubject: KABOOOM!!!   Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:27 pm

Shotgunnung works!

I recently picked up what I thought was a pretty nice RCA 811k console. My son in law expressed an interest in large consloes, so I thought this would make a great gift for him.

I jumped on the cabinet right away and did a refinish. It came out VERY well, and made me wish I'd never promised it away. Sad

But, then came the realization that I had overlooked some nasty issues with the chassis. The SW was disabled, and part of the candohm had burned out and had been bypassed by someone with, shall we say, limited talent, experience and parts. It was a mess! Shocked

I thought about it for a few days, and decided the cabinet and the chassis (for the most part) were too nice to just give up on, so I decided to basically just replace every passive part in it, one part at a time. With the age, the abuse and previous damage, I didn't trust any of the old parts. You had to see it to believe it.

All the caps, all the resistors, and a butt load of wiring had to go. About half the chassis would have needed rewiring anyway, as the work done to replace the candohm sections and to disable the shortwave was QUITE extensive.

I got started about 5 weeks ago. Making a rough parts list, digging through my wiring stores to find correct colors and gauges, pulling all the small parts, and bugging ARF members for info on that darned candohm. (first one I'd ever had to bypass)

I divided the chassis into 5 sections, and tried to complete one at a time. When I'd get tired or frustrated, I'd give it a few days break.

Recapping and replacing the resistors was pretty straight forward, but reversing the damage done to disable the SW, and bypassing the candohm was quite the challenge for me. I thought I was whooped a few times, but then I would take a break and think about what I was doing. When I was sure I had a section right, I moved on.

I fired it up yesterday, and it actually works! I am giving it a few days run time before stuffing it back into the cabinet, but so far, it seems to be working great. Of course there were some lead dress issues that had to be sorted out, but I expected that. Took about an hour to get it nice and quiet.

Anyway, if you amateurs, (like me), ever want to sharpen you skills, get yourself a large console with multiple issues, or just take a Garden Weasel to the bottom of the chassis. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobwilson1977

PostSubject: Re: KABOOOM!!!   Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:49 pm

The title of your post made me think the radio blew up or something. Anyway, I aught to post some pics of my latest resto- a TINY little Telechron clock radio. The entire chassis is maybe 3.5 inches square. The one large multi-value cap is stuck to the side. It was a real challenge because there was ZERO wiggle room and all the new parts are just crammed in there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dschulma

PostSubject: Re: KABOOOM!!!   Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:53 pm

I thought it blew up too, by reading the title! Shocked Congrats to you on a successful resto!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gadget73

PostSubject: Re: KABOOOM!!!   Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:57 pm

My first restore was a mostly unmolested Philco 39-116. It had 2 filter caps tacked in to replace the cans, but that was about the extent of the modifications. It basically worked when I got it, though not well. I replaced every capacitor, all the wiring, rebuilt the lamp sockets, and even basically got the mystery control circuitry operational. It was a pretty involved piece of equipment to rebuild, but having come out of it successfully, I feel that much more confident in my repair abilities. Sometimes repairing a difficult set is just the ticket to get over a case of nerves, especially when its a case where you can't make it worse.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dynadude

PostSubject: Re: KABOOOM!!!   Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:14 pm

bobwilson1977 wrote:
The title of your post made me think the radio blew up or something.

Cool I thought it might have that affect, after I posted.

Thanks for the congrats. This project was a challenge, but also a needed ego boost once it was working. I really wanted this one. Now I feel like I can tackle just about any 1930s vintage radio, as long as I have good reference materials. drunken
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mike W.

PostSubject: Re: KABOOOM!!!   Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:40 pm

It's a good feeling aint it?! I finally decided to replace the electrolytics and papers on a hammarlund hq-180 last year. My first attempt at re-capping anything. Quite the challenge, but I got em in there. Operated with the same amount of hum as when i started Suspect .
Going to check the transformer later on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobwilson1977

PostSubject: Re: KABOOOM!!!   Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:26 pm

Quote :
This project was a challenge, but also a needed ego boost once it was working. I really wanted this one. Now I feel like I can tackle just about any 1930s vintage radio, as long as I have good reference materials. drunken

Yup- a lot of the 30's radios are a total mess. I re-did a 34' RCA 128 this year: My first of that era. Its a table top model that in all truth has what amounts to a console chassis stuffed into a table set. NONE of the caps were marked, someone had also added a lot of new parts ( jerry-rigged) and a lot of the wiring was rotten. The schematics were hard to read too.

Took about 3 months to rebuild but now it works like new. That was definitely a good radio to learn skills on. It makes some of the 40's radios I've worked on seem like cake.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gvel

PostSubject: Re: KABOOOM!!!   Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:11 pm

Congrats...on a job well done! What a great feeling - eh!

My first success is played often, and it still does, 5 years later! Cool Without the ARF, it would still be on the bench! That is no BS!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lou deGonzague

PostSubject: Re: KABOOOM!!!   Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:27 pm

Got one of those out in the garage right now awaiting revival. Did you do an alignment after all the work on the chassis?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dynadude

PostSubject: Re: KABOOOM!!!   Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:20 pm

Lou deGonzague wrote:
Got one of those out in the garage right now awaiting revival. Did you do an alignment after all the work on the chassis?

Did a "by ear" alignment. Didn't take long to get it on the correct dial settings and good clear reception.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dynadude

PostSubject: Re: KABOOOM!!!   Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:46 am

Mike W. wrote:
It's a good feeling aint it?! I finally decided to replace the electrolytics and papers on a hammarlund hq-180 last year. My first attempt at re-capping anything. Quite the challenge, but I got em in there. Operated with the same amount of hum as when i started Suspect .
Going to check the transformer later on.

Could be a lead dress issue too. I'd try moving some wiring around and see what happens.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: KABOOOM!!!   

Back to top Go down

KABOOOM!!!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Antique Radios Forum :: Antique Radio Forums :: Electrical/Mechanical Restoration-
Jump to: