Antique Radios Forum

This is the temporary home of the Antique Radio Forums while a new server to host it is being found. You will have to register here to post. Please Note: None of these topics will be preserved when the original forums are back.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Antiquing a polished escutcheon

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Alan Douglas

PostSubject: Re: Antiquing a polished escutcheon   Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:39 pm

Cape Cod, Massachusetts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Reece

PostSubject: Re: Antiquing a polished escutcheon   Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:58 pm

JG Jackson wrote: I believe it's due to the sulfur contained in eggs.... will also tarnish silver.

Yep. Any source of sulfurous fumes ought to work.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JG Jackson

PostSubject: Re: Antiquing a polished escutcheon   Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:13 pm

Reece wrote:
.....Yep. Any source of sulfurous fumes ought to work.

Don't tell my wife - she'll blame me for the tarnished silver..... she already blames me for the peeling paint.....

OTOH - send me your "shiney" escutcheons and I'll "organically patinate" them for only $15 a piece.... Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
smeezekitty

PostSubject: Re: Antiquing a polished escutcheon   Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:52 pm

I STILL don't see the purpose of doing this.
I like my radios with polished wood and metal parts and looking new from the factory on the outside atleast.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alan Douglas

PostSubject: Re: Antiquing a polished escutcheon   Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:52 pm

Because they weren't bright brass when they were new; they were chemically antiqued. Polished brass was for fire engines, not household furniture.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
k9uwa

PostSubject: Re: Antiquing a polished escutcheon   Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:56 pm

smeezekitty wrote:
I like my radios with polished wood and metal parts and looking new from the factory on the outside atleast.

Thats FINE if they came that way. But Many of them did NOT come that way. Many came with some sort of FINISH on the metal parts which was removed by some overzealous person who THOUGHT that was the way it was supposed to look. We are attempting to put it back the way it was supposed to be originally.

I wish there were some way to replicate the Finish on the 1937 and 1938 Zenith escutcheon's It is really a two color affair on the 1938 ones. The portion next to the glass being an almost black in color and the outer portion a very dark brown color. No idea how Zenith managed that one. Hate it when guys Shine them UP.

John k9uwa
Back to top Go down
View user profile
smeezekitty

PostSubject: Re: Antiquing a polished escutcheon   Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:47 pm

k9uwa wrote:
smeezekitty wrote:

Thats FINE if they came that way. But Many of them did NOT come that way. Many came with some sort of FINISH on the metal parts which was removed by some overzealous person who THOUGHT that was the way it was supposed to look. We are attempting to put it back the way it was supposed to be originally.

I wish there were some way to replicate the Finish on the 1937 and 1938 Zenith escutcheon's It is really a two color affair on the 1938 ones. The portion next to the glass being an almost black in color and the outer portion a very dark brown color. No idea how Zenith managed that one. Hate it when guys Shine them UP.

John k9uwa
Embarassed I did not realize this, although it seems alittle odd . Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alan Douglas

PostSubject: Re: Antiquing a polished escutcheon   Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:18 am

Not at all. Brass was out of fashion after the 1920s. Nickel was in, if you wanted something bright. Historically, brass was a cheap substitute for gold (look up the word "brazen").
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DavidS

PostSubject: Re: Antiquing a polished escutcheon   Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:58 pm

k9uwa wrote:
smeezekitty wrote:

John k9uwa

I couldn't agree more., When I see those Zenith escutcheon's polished I go YUCK !....

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Antiquing a polished escutcheon   

Back to top Go down

Antiquing a polished escutcheon
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2