Antique Radios Forum

This is the temporary home of the Antique Radio Forums while a new server to host it is being found. You will have to register here to post. Please Note: None of these topics will be preserved when the original forums are back.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

1920s radio chassis brown color

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
gadget73

PostSubject: 1920s radio chassis brown color   Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:04 pm

Does anyone have a good source for a matching brown color for 1920s radio chassis? I'm working on a Fada 20, but as far as my fuzzy memory and poor sense of color tell me, its pretty near the same color used on the Radiola 18 and my AK 55.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dynadude

PostSubject: Re: 1920s radio chassis brown color   Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:18 pm

I haven't found any perfect matches for those old dark browns yet, but I have custom mixed some touch-up paint from craft store enamels. That works well, and is pretty cheap.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dave Slusarczyk

PostSubject: Re: 1920s radio chassis brown color   Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:47 pm

I have found the camoflage brown from Wall-Mart is a very close match to the AK brown. It is flat however. I apply a coat of clear over it. Good Luck with it!

Dave
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gadget73

PostSubject: Re: 1920s radio chassis brown color   Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:55 pm

I'll check into the Walmart stuff, thanks for the tip. I need to repaint the capacitor box. I cooked out the tar potting, then scrubbed the remaining tar out in the degreaser tank at work. A lot of the paint just came right off when I was cleaning it up. I picked up one can of brown, but its a bit too light, so I was hoping to find one closer to the correct color. Doesn't have to be perfect, but I don't want this sticking out like a sore thumb either.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JG Jackson

PostSubject: Re: 1920s radio chassis brown color   Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:19 pm

I second the camo brown Dave recommends - I believe it is a Krylon product - and it is "ultra" flat. I use a semigloss clear coat to top it - and occasionally a little 4-0 steel wool to blend the lustre...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
werick

PostSubject: Re: 1920s radio chassis brown color   Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:30 am

Good tip on the AK paint, I have a AK 55 & 60. I was thinking of melting the tar out of those filter cans, like Gadget describes. The only thing holding me back was the paint. Those chassis' are so pretty.

By the way, what do you use to melt the tar out of those cans? I've used a heat gun on cans with wax. But I never did one with tar.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JG Jackson

PostSubject: Re: 1920s radio chassis brown color   Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:15 am

Some folks recommend putting them in a freezer overnight and then tapping it with a mallet or on a solid surface. The cold supposedly contracts the tar enough to break it free and you won't heat-damage the paint. You could probably get by with a heat gun though - or just pop it in a hot oven for a few minutes. You won't need to melt all the tar - just the outer surface next to the can... it should slip out easily at that point by tugging on the leads... What a Face
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gadget73

PostSubject: Re: 1920s radio chassis brown color   Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:21 pm

The heat gun wouldn't touch it. I finally got tired of it and broke out the propane torch. That seemed to do the job pretty effectively. The remaining residue came out with a mineral spirits scrub.

The camo brown does look quite good. Its even just about the proper gloss level once I painted it over the previous gloss brown. Its not quite what I'd describe as "ultra flat", its more of a satin finish which matches the rest of the chassis pretty well. Its not dead on, but its certainly close enough.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1920s radio chassis brown color   

Back to top Go down

1920s radio chassis brown color
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1