Antique Radios Forum

This is the temporary home of the Antique Radio Forums while a new server to host it is being found. You will have to register here to post. Please Note: None of these topics will be preserved when the original forums are back.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

What do you all use to lube electric clocks?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
bobwilson1977

PostSubject: What do you all use to lube electric clocks?   Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:31 pm

I just got through recapping a small alarm clock radio. It has a Telechron movement that still works fine. But... I would like to use the clock full time and I assume that whatever grease they sealed up in the motor has a questionable consistency from sitting in there for 60+ years. So... should I just let er' run or attempt to somehow get some new grease in there?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dberman51

PostSubject: Re: What do you all use to lube electric clocks?   Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:34 pm

Telechron clocks are becoming collectible, and the motors are not made anymore. If you google Telechron you will find some information about repair and maintenance, and even some people who overhaul them. Most clock repairers won't touch electric clocks.

-David
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobwilson1977

PostSubject: Re: What do you all use to lube electric clocks?   Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:41 pm

Quote :
Telechron clocks are becoming collectible

I noticed that recently when I looked on Ebay: Telechrons are getting some pretty high prices. I bet I have like 15 of these things, half as clock radios. One I have as my bedside clock. Still works great.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gearhead222

PostSubject: Re: What do you all use to lube electric clocks?   Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:46 pm

I've reoiled several of these rotors. If interested, PM me-Gearhead
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TexMac

PostSubject: Re: What do you all use to lube electric clocks?   Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:14 am

Bob,
There was a great site that had the complete procedure with drawings and photos to restore Telechron rotors. I saved it as a pdf. The web address saved with it no longer works, so I can't give you a link. But if you will send me a PM so we can exchange e-mail addresses, I could send you a copy. I am sure the original author would not mind since it is obviously information to be shared. If he is one of us, it would be nice to let us know the new URL so we could bookmark it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ve1arn

PostSubject: Re: What do you all use to lube electric clocks?   Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:55 am

Back to top Go down
View user profile
genoo

PostSubject: Re: What do you all use to lube electric clocks?   Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:04 am

A few years ago I used a fishing reel oil on my Telechron. The oil is very thin. Works great. Clock keeps perfect time. Before it ran very slowly.

Gene
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobwilson1977

PostSubject: Re: What do you all use to lube electric clocks?   Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:53 am

Well.. I got home and plugged the clock radio in and let it run. Honestly, it runs quiet as a mouse, keeps perfect time, and seems to work perfectly. I am really hesitant to take the thing apart to oil it even though in the back of my mind I can't help but tell myself that this was made in 1947 and surely by now whatever lube was in there has turned to gunk. But curiosity might get the better of me and I might do it anyway.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
greberadio

PostSubject: Re: What do you all use to lube electric clocks?   Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:39 am

You'll know when it needs oil...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gearhead222

PostSubject: Re: What do you all use to lube electric clocks?   Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:08 pm

Dear Bob-Tried sending you a PM and not sure if it went through. As mentioned, if the clock needs oiling you will hear it! This is what I sent you concerning reoiling the rotors:

Dear Bob-I received these instructions from an EBay seller/collector/restorer who sold me some Telechron rotors. It doesn't always work, but does many times! This is what you will need:

1-Weller 100/140W or similiar soldering gun
2-1 qt of Mobil 1 0W-20 Synthetic Motor Oil
Toothpicks
Plastic brush

Remove the rotor by loosening the 2 bottom and/or 2 top screws. Note the "TOP" stamped on the rotor-ensure that this stamping is oriented on top of the rotor when you reinstall it! Also remember that the rotor/clock fit is tight and that you will have to play around with it to reinstall.
Bend the soldering gun tip with needle nose pliers so that the rotor rests inside of the modified tip, with the wider part of the rotor on top of the tip.
Put 2-3 drops of the Mobil oil in the small sleeve surrounding the pinion gear using a toothpick and then reinsert rotor in soldering gun. Heat up gun until the oil JUST STARTS TO BUBBLE! Quickly remove the rotor and set aside. As the rotor cools, it should suck the oil in. If it doesn't suck it in , repeat the heating. Sometimes pulling and pushing on the pinion gear, along with vigorous scrubbing of the area with a plastic brush where the pinion gear rests, helps! Sometimes repeated heatings will break this sludge seal. Repeat until you have used 6 drops-7 drops MAX! Reinstall rotor in clock and operate. You can tell if reoiling worked if the rotor noise quiets down to a very slight "shhhhhhhh". You may not hear it quiet down right away-give it 24 hours or so. Sometimes the rotors are too far gone, but many times this method will loosen it up and mix the synthetic with the original oil. Do NOT drill holes in the rotor-it is unnecessary. If you do this to a spare rotor, again run it for at least 24 hours and then store pinion side up so the oil doesn't drain out.
Glad you got the Musalarm recapped! I did two and a GE model 50 and it did NOT get easier the third time around! A true PITA!! The Solex caps are crap though and you were prudent to replace them.
Good luck!Smile-John Waldron (Gearhead)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bobwilson1977

PostSubject: Re: What do you all use to lube electric clocks?   Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:28 am

Thanks for the info Gearhead!
Anyway, the clock has been running for 2 days and so far it seems to be fine. No noise, keeps time, etc. The clock is not at all easy to get out of the cabinet. I tried for 30-40 minutes when I initially took the radio apart. I wound up just leaving it in there. Knowing me, if I attempt to fix something that's not broke, I seem to always make it worse. Thus I've decided to let it be and if it starts to act up, THEN I'll do something about it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What do you all use to lube electric clocks?   

Back to top Go down

What do you all use to lube electric clocks?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1