Antique Radios Forum

This is the temporary home of the Antique Radio Forums while a new server to host it is being found. You will have to register here to post. Please Note: None of these topics will be preserved when the original forums are back.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Camden Radio???

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jayg30

PostSubject: Camden Radio???   Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:58 pm

I looked at a radio yesterday that looked to be 1937 vintage. It was a console with a large teledial. There was a brass tag under the knobs that said Camden. No paper labels inside other than the patents. I've been unable to find any reference to this on the internet. Anyone know what is is Is is a rebranded console? 4 knobs and I believe 8 tubes. Nice looking console.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mike C.

PostSubject: Re: Camden Radio???   Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:08 pm

I believe I heard once that Camden radios are re-branded RCAs.I have a collector's guide that has pictures of a few Camden radios.Any chance you could put up a photo?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jayg30

PostSubject: Re: Camden Radio???   Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:13 pm

Sorry - I didn't have a camera with me. I passed on the radio as I have too many consoles now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ggregg

PostSubject: Re: Camden Radio???   Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:17 pm

Camdens are rebrands or private label sets. The only time I've seen them is in old radio catalogs. They were usually closeouts at that time. Not sure who owned the actual label. I think they had their radios made by whoever gave them a good bid, somewhat like Lafayette, or rebranded overruns. From what I could tell, the radios looked like they were made by different manufacturers. Some were pretty nice looking. I don't think RCA had anything to do with them except to maybe sell them a model overrun but I would think RCA had a way to get rid of it's product rather than sell it to a diverter or rebrander.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mike C.

PostSubject: Re: Camden Radio???   Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:45 pm

Well I suppose until the facts are known,any guess is just as good as another.Myself,if that radio was for sale in my neighborhood,i'd probably try hard to make room for it just because it's a brand your not likely to see in many collections.Like you said ggregg,judging from the photos I've seen,at least some of them looked to be fairly decent quality.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
butch s

PostSubject: Re: Camden Radio???   Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:59 am

i thought camden was one of the trade names of radio products corp.they also had co-op and clipper and a few other trade names.butch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Camden Radio???   

Back to top Go down

Camden Radio???
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1