Antique Radios Forum

This is the temporary home of the Antique Radio Forums while a new server to host it is being found. You will have to register here to post. Please Note: None of these topics will be preserved when the original forums are back.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Kardon Products TRF Radio 1920's

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
bonanzaman

PostSubject: Kardon Products TRF Radio 1920's   Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:27 pm

I picked up this Kardon Products Neutrodyne set on Ebay, and I have tried to research the
History of this obscure company, but have not found any info . Here is the Ebay link to the radio, terrible photos and all:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270650146138&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I initially thought that this was a early homebrew set, as there appears to be few ID markings except for the “Kardon Products Co” on the chassis.
Also, it uses Fada Neutroformer Coils, which were sold to homebuilders and members of the "Independent Radio Manufacturers" at the time. The sticker from one coil shows the original price of $7.50 !

Can anyone shed some light on this one?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alan Douglas

PostSubject: Re: Kardon Products TRF Radio 1920's   Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:50 pm

It's homemade. Kardon (Peter Kardon, not the one who formed Harman-Kardon) made the amplifier chassis. There should be four binding posts hidden under the RF coil? I can't tell from the photos.

Kardon did make a radio but it's quite distinctive, wired with flat brass strips instead of bus wire.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bonanzaman

PostSubject: Re: Kardon Products TRF Radio 1920's   Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:01 pm

Alan Douglas wrote:
It's homemade. Kardon (Peter Kardon, not the one who formed Harman-Kardon) made the amplifier chassis. There should be four binding posts hidden under the RF coil? I can't tell from the photos.

Kardon did make a radio but it's quite distinctive, wired with flat brass strips instead of bus wire.

Shoot! I should have followed my instincts on this one. I saw some references to the Kardon Strip radio, an thought this might have been a manufactured radio. Well, it will be a challenge to see if I can get this running. (I haven't received it yet!) I'm assuming this will take (5) 01A tubes, yes?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alan Douglas

PostSubject: Re: Kardon Products TRF Radio 1920's   Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:04 pm

Yes. I trust it will make it there in one piece (the bard rubber panel is brittle). I'd put it at 1924 but it might be 1923. Those Radion hard-rubber dials look nice when waxed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ggregg

PostSubject: Re: Kardon Products TRF Radio 1920's   Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:09 pm

ARC had an article on Peter Kardon in about 1994 I believe. I may still have it somewhere.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bonanzaman

PostSubject: Kardon Homebuilt   Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:13 pm

Thanks, Alan for the info....I'll worry about the cosmetics as soon as I decide it's a runner! Looks like 4 small knobs + 3 tuning, I am thinking the small ones are: Volume, Detector, Tone, and Filament. Are the home made Neutrodyne sets wired pretty much the same as a factory radio?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bonanzaman

PostSubject: Re: Kardon Products TRF Radio 1920's   Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:26 pm

ggregg wrote:
ARC had an article on Peter Kardon in about 1994 I believe. I may still have it somewhere.
If you run across it, ggreg, I'd love to see it!
Thanks!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kardon Products TRF Radio 1920's   

Back to top Go down

Kardon Products TRF Radio 1920's
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1