Antique Radios Forum

This is the temporary home of the Antique Radio Forums while a new server to host it is being found. You will have to register here to post. Please Note: None of these topics will be preserved when the original forums are back.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

tubes at local auction but there is a catch

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
cstolp

PostSubject: tubes at local auction but there is a catch   Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:31 pm

My father informed me that he was at the auction house today and spoted a slew of vacuum tubes. He said they were mixed in with a few things that would need to be thrown out too. So I went online and sure enough looks to be over 200 NOS tubes. Problem is is that they are on one of the two pallets being auctioned as one lot. Computer monitors, fax machine, security camera etc. Hell each one of those items will cost $10 to have recycled. I wonder if they would consider auctioning off just the tubes? Of course I have not inspected yet to see what tubes they are and if they are of any current or future use to me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jaycebot

PostSubject: Re: tubes at local auction but there is a catch   Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:55 pm

Just donate the extras to a thrift store, I work at one, we get stuff like that. we will either sell it or recycle it for free.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://jaycesradios.jimdo.com
burnt fingers

PostSubject: Re: tubes at local auction but there is a catch   Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:27 am

Recycle them in the parking lot Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Don Cavey

PostSubject: Re: tubes at local auction but there is a catch   Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:05 am

burnt fingers wrote:
Recycle them in the parking lot Rolling Eyes

Or the dumpster behind WalMart Embarassed
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dschulma

PostSubject: Re: tubes at local auction but there is a catch   Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:39 am

You can always ask the auctioneer. He'd be more than likely to do it if you tell him that you'd start the opening bid for them at XX dollars if he sells them separate from the entire pallet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
k9uwa

PostSubject: Re: tubes at local auction but there is a catch   Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:16 am

Auctions I have gone to locally that do up box lots and other such piles. I have seen people buy the pile. When the auction is over they walk over pick out the items they want and simply walk away leaving the rest of the unwanted stuff set.

The Auctioneer can next week either reauction whats left or put it in his dumpster. His choice.

John k9uwa
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dave Allen

PostSubject: Re: tubes at local auction but there is a catch   Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:11 am

Another bidder and I were going against each other on some box lots of CB equipment once. After the auction we traded some pieces and both went away happy. I've also given away, sold, and abandoned parts of box lots I didn't want. Once I bought and picked through a box and put it back into the sell pile! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldradioparts

PostSubject: Re: tubes at local auction but there is a catch   Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:46 pm

It pays to buddy up to potential other interested bidders at auctions. Ask what they are going for... sometimes you can split lots cheap instead of killing each other.

One large electronics supply house auction I attended about 8 years ago had a whole wall of tubes... probably 2000 total. There were only about 4 of us serious tube buyers in the crowd of local yokels and CB radio nuts. We made deals to divey up the bidding. The stuff went for super low money all around. Everyone but the seller and auctioneer were very happy in the end !

Mark Oppat
www.oldradioparts.net
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alan Douglas

PostSubject: Re: tubes at local auction but there is a catch   Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:07 pm

Make sure the tubes are what the boxes say they are. Pick out the valuable tubes and check. If there aren't any valuable ones, I'd say forget the whole thing. NOS TV tubes are a dime a dozen, and there's no chance of your getting stuck with recycling costs. I'm sure there's a good reason that junk is part of the lot: they're counting on making them somebody else's problem.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: tubes at local auction but there is a catch   

Back to top Go down

tubes at local auction but there is a catch
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1