Antique Radios Forum

This is the temporary home of the Antique Radio Forums while a new server to host it is being found. You will have to register here to post. Please Note: None of these topics will be preserved when the original forums are back.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

estate sale bummer, but not completely

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ScottJ

PostSubject: estate sale bummer, but not completely   Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:27 pm

I was at an estate auction last weekend of a man who had an RCA repair shop from the 50's through the 60's. Tons of great stuff. Of course the items I stood around all day waiting for sold too high. Signal generator, tube tester, NOS capacitors. tons of tubes that were sold to a private guy the day before the sale. It is frustrating when you are bidding against people who don't even know what they are bidding on just to sell it on ebay. I was able to get some caps, resistors, and an old Zenith radio that my son wanted, an H880 am fm phono so it wasn't a total loss. I spent enough to upset my wife anyway. Just wanted to get my gripe off my chest. Thanks for listening.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ChrisH664

PostSubject: Re: estate sale bummer, but not completely   Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:04 am

Too bad on the high prices Scott. A publicized auction with tons of what you mentioned brings ALL the dealers and collectors and flippers from the area flocking in. Same thing happened to me 2 months ago. I drove 100 miles one way for a similar type auction only to return with a $12 RCA Victor tabletop. I was bound and determined to get something at least. I too could have spent hundreds of dollars, one guy had to spend at least $2000, but I sure didn't want to sleep on the couch for a few days. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rocketeer

PostSubject: Re: estate sale bummer, but not completely   Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:25 am

It can be frustrating. I had a similar experience last Spring. There were two guys bidding against each other and niether had a clue. One guy was actually heard to say, when asked why he bought a group of broken meters for $40 each, "They must be worth more than that." Huh?

The auctioneer set 5 radios on the table and said "You're bidding on one or all.". There was one decent radio there that normally would be worth about $75, the rest were your average $20 pieces. These two yokels bid it up to $140. The same guy won and then couldn't decide which one he wanted and after several minutes of examining them he picked the least valuable radio on the table, worth maybe $20. He didn't have a clue. Very frustrating. I left.

Larry
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.enter.net/~rocketeer/13thaaf/13thmain.html
chris108

PostSubject: Re: estate sale bummer, but not completely   Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:32 am

It stinks when you go to an estate auction only to find out that somebody already gave the owner an offer they couldn't refuse and carted off all the interesting items. I usually don't stick around for anything else when that happens. I'm not going to bid up the prices on the rest of their stuff for them after they pull something like that!

However, there is some amusement to be had when you recognize those same items on eBay. The only ones getting rich on eBay [/u]are[u] eBay, and idiots who pay too much for junk thinking that they are going to make a killing online often get exactly what they deserve.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bgadow

PostSubject: Re: estate sale bummer, but not completely   Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:26 am

I've been to sales like that...and have also been to one which was poorly advertised/not very well put together. At its highpoint I think there were 2 dozen people there. By the time they got to the "good" stuff I was the only real radio collector left. At one point they had a $10 "choice" lot which contained a row of T-O's, a pair of Pilot 3" TV sets and some very nice prewar bakelite radios. The competion was ebay & antique mall flippers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
burnt fingers

PostSubject: Re: estate sale bummer, but not completely   Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:55 am

I go to some local estate auctions and if I cant walk out with what I want a day early there is no sense going back.

The idea is to get the good stuff before the dealers show up as they are usually traveling a distance or doing several auctions in an area.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Panther

PostSubject: Re: estate sale bummer, but not completely   Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:07 am

Estate sale speculators make me puke. Nothing but blood sucking leeches.
Dan
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Radionut39

PostSubject: Re: estate sale bummer, but not completely   Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:56 am

As the Economy suffers, the rudeness and predatory pushiness is increasing. No

Some of the people I have encountered act like we are all starving- and in line for
some Soylent Green.
They literally Rush in and swarm like predatory wolves.

For some reason, we are getting Russians and Ukranians alot...very Rude. Rolling Eyes

Where are the Hispanics? I never see them at estate sales - weird. Few Asians also. Question
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ChrisH664

PostSubject: Re: estate sale bummer, but not completely   Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:36 pm

Radionut39 wrote:
As the Economy suffers, the rudeness and predatory pushiness is increasing. No

Some of the people I have encountered act like we are all starving- and in line for
some Soylent Green.
They literally Rush in and swarm like predatory wolves.

For some reason, we are getting Russians and Ukranians alot...very Rude. Rolling Eyes

Where are the Hispanics? I never see them at estate sales - weird. Few Asians also. Question

Later are at the garage sales.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
vacuum tubes tesla coil

PostSubject: Re: estate sale bummer, but not completely   Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:32 pm

that's me at the garage sales! Shocked Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dorpmuller

PostSubject: Re: estate sale bummer, but not completely   Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:24 pm

Panther wrote:
Estate sale speculators make me puke. Nothing but blood sucking leeches.
Dan

Damn right! After reading this thread, now you know why I don't do auctions.

Rich
Back to top Go down
View user profile
antiqueradiobuff

PostSubject: Re: estate sale bummer, but not completely   Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:33 pm

my friend use to run an auction house and it happened to me also on a bueaty zenith floor model sopke with a guy Yea I got no interest but he bid and lost it i was out at 100 it went for 225.00 one of the cheeper models but it playes great thats why i do not go to auction maybe for a few 78s but thats all couse guys say O gawd there to heavey and not worth anything Unless you get 1 guy out of 20 that looked and wants only one and he out bids ya. I was at one other auction many many years ago had about 20.00 cash on hand and well i was looking a a box full of home cut records that went to fifty dollars I was so peeved so a while later crowd started leave auctioneering getting desprate started selling off stuff quick
here up comes a box of 78 records Ok who will bid on this lot
do i have a 5 dollar bid i bid the next guy bid he bid and i got the lot for either 10 maybe 15 dollors any who got home and Found a Shocked Laughing 2 Disney from Snow white whisle while you work aka dig dig dig and one other i for got same motion picture snow white and many many other great things in that lot that made my day
the end Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sprague

PostSubject: Re: estate sale bummer, but not completely   Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:32 pm

What is really sad is that my friend had an old Scott that was a grandfather clock. For some reason or another, his dad took an axe to it and it has been setting outside since. The thing still worked fine, too. This was before I knew about it, of course.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
radiorich

PostSubject: Re: estate sale bummer, but not completely   Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:59 pm

Hello Pather,
Well yes I agree .
Guys most of the time I see people using the phrase "estate sale"

Loosely and most of the time it's just a glorified garage sale to seel a bunch of junk.
I stop going to them
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: estate sale bummer, but not completely   

Back to top Go down

estate sale bummer, but not completely
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1