Antique Radios Forum

This is the temporary home of the Antique Radio Forums while a new server to host it is being found. You will have to register here to post. Please Note: None of these topics will be preserved when the original forums are back.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Philco 46-250

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
slammed87d21

PostSubject: Philco 46-250   Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:41 pm

Just had it playing here on the bench as I donwnload another OS, and I noticed something. When I place my finger on the antenna through a hole on the back, the signal increases. Ok, I know that my finger on the antenna increases capacitance, so could I not add a capacitor between the tuning cap and the antenna to do the same, but permanently?

Just curious...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aaron

PostSubject: Re: Philco 46-250   Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:39 pm

I thought that, by touching the antenna, your body is inductively coupling with the set's existing antenna to create a larger, better antenna.

I'd love to hear what the experts have to say about this. Smile

Aaron
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Reece

PostSubject: Re: Philco 46-250   Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:57 pm

Aaron is right. It's common to have the signal increase when you put anything conductive near a loop antenna, a length of wire the end of which is formed into a loop, or your hand, part of your very conductive self. You're an antenna. If the radio's been aligned and the signal isn't enough on weak stations, turning the radio about on the table will swing the loop antenna to be able to find the strongest signal. If that's not enough, often there's a connection for an external wire. Ten or twenty feet can make a big difference. Some radios may work better with the end of that length of wire formed into a two turn loop and taped to the back of the rear cover/loop antenna with no direct connection.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aaron

PostSubject: Re: Philco 46-250   Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:34 pm

Reece wrote:
If that's not enough, often there's a connection for an external wire. Ten or twenty feet can make a big difference.

If I want to attach 10 or 20 feet of wire, how should the wire be arranged? Does it need to be straight? Can it be wrapped up into a loop (so it takes up less space)? Can I just attach a big spool of wire? Smile

Aaron
Back to top Go down
View user profile
slammed87d21

PostSubject: Re: Philco 46-250   Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:58 pm

Aaron, there's not really any special way to have a long wire of that length. When I had my Atwater Kent model 84 in my bedroom, I just draped 10 foot or so if wire in a "J" shape and used a thumb tack to hold the end up. Across the floor worked well too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Philco 46-250   

Back to top Go down

Philco 46-250
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Antique Radios Forum :: Antique Radio Forums :: Electrical/Mechanical Restoration-
Jump to: