Antique Radios Forum

This is the temporary home of the Antique Radio Forums while a new server to host it is being found. You will have to register here to post. Please Note: None of these topics will be preserved when the original forums are back.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

any info on this RCA console?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
tuberadiogeek

PostSubject: any info on this RCA console?   Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:41 pm

i came across this RCA console on my local CL, http://limaohio.craigslist.org/ele/2018514934.html the guy says it works, but only 1 of the 3 speakers are working on it. he says theres no apparent model number on it that he can locate. is anyone here familiar with this certain make/model? or can give any info on it and if i should jump on it or avoid it? and possibly a safe price range on it as it sits. (as i'm still learning about antique radios) thanks Ben-
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldradioparts

PostSubject: Re: any info on this RCA console?   Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:09 pm

That set is mid to late 60's. Probably solid state. The side speakers connect thru the hinges, and they may have wires that connect to jacks in the back of the main cabinet. Might be why they are dead. The record player and amp will need servicing usually. Lots to do on these.

Mark Oppat
www.oldradioparts.net
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tuberadiogeek

PostSubject: Re: any info on this RCA console?   Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:19 pm

ok, well he said it had tubes in it. so is it something worth getting if i can get it cheap enough? or will it present too many problems for me being a novice?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JG Jackson

PostSubject: Re: any info on this RCA console?   Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:11 pm

I know when I first started collecting seriously - like many novices - I'd buy most any and every thing with tubes... which is usually a mistake. Study what's out there to determine what you like and what's practical for you.

Since it sounds like you're just starting out - you might want to think now about narrowing your focus to a certain type or vintage of radio. Do you have room for large sets like that??? Too - those can be quite complex and challenging to repair in some instances.

If I had it all to do over again, I'd pass on a lot of the crap I bought early on and save the dough for a lesser number of higher quality sets. Live and learn.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
allthumbs

PostSubject: Re: any info on this RCA console?   Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:16 pm

I agree entirely with JG Jackson. Save your money for something worth having. Be discriminating in what you buy; save your money for something worth the investment. This RCA thing really looks like a piece of junk (to put it bluntly), tubes or no tubes.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Tom
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tuberadiogeek

PostSubject: Re: any info on this RCA console?   Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:23 pm

i am starting out, but i only have 1 other radio, which is a zenith x334. i dont have a whole lot of room, but dont plan to get but 1 or 2 large sets. before i buy it i'm gona look it over. however i'm not going to spend alot of money on it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JG Jackson

PostSubject: Re: any info on this RCA console?   Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:27 pm

I looked for "antique radio" in your area's CL and found several nice examples... including several Zeniths..... What a Face

Back to top Go down
View user profile
tuberadiogeek

PostSubject: Re: any info on this RCA console?   Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:09 pm

most of them are usually over priced or out of my price range.lol. i usually dont have much to spend on a radio. i would like to find just a nice simple AA5 or a nice bakelite reasoably priced, but rarely happens. once i get them 2 types of radios i'd be happy, bc i dont want anything i cant listen to. i talked to the guy, i'm going to get it for 20.00.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dale Davenport

PostSubject: Re: any info on this RCA console?   Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:28 pm

Quote :
i would like to find just a nice simple AA5 or a nice bakelite reasoably priced,

PM me and I'll see if I can fix you up with something decent - - just for the price of shipping it to you. OK?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldradioparts

PostSubject: Re: any info on this RCA console?   Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:36 am

Nothing wrong with that RCA he is considering... most RCA stuff is above average quality... and it IS a record player after all (4 speeds too). so dont scare him off it, its real cheap probably ($1 in the headline)...

Mark Oppat
www.oldradioparts.net
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JG Jackson

PostSubject: Re: any info on this RCA console?   Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:58 am

Yep - $20 sounds like a good price.... but beware. I have been sold on a good price more than once without considering hidden costs. I bought a swell-looking Columbia phonograph for $20 once.... after having to buy a new crank, crank escutcheon, platter felt, governor cam, etc..... I had well over $100 in it... You already know something is wrong with that RCA... perhaps a tube, blown speaker - the turntable will likely need some parts, ? needle, ?cartridge.... beware of money pits - they're not confined to the housing market. But - yes BUT - sometimes the pleasure of doing a restoration is worth more than the money - and the satisfaction can certainly outweigh the costs... That call will be up to you..

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tom Bavis

PostSubject: Re: any info on this RCA console?   Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:32 am

Looks it may have a 3-channel amp - big center speaker and smaller right/left. If you DO find a model number or chassis number, let me know and I'll find what Sams folder covers it (I MIGHT even have it).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: any info on this RCA console?   

Back to top Go down

any info on this RCA console?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1